Steve Baldwin another "newbie"

Steve

Hello Everyone!

My name is Steve Baldwin. I’ve been hanging around your forum since December of 06. I believe I’ve read every post and been to every web site that’s been posted since then. I fell in love with the engraving that I was seeing on your forum and decided to try and learn about this mix of art and craft. In January of this year I was fortunate enough to attend a week long class for beginning engravers with Sam Alfano. That week set me on fire. I got some equipment from GRS and away I went. I almost feel guilty posting because I have nothing to offer the forum except a huge thanks to all who share their insights and experience. I have spent untold hours trying to soak up any and all that has been posted. Thank you to all, especially to Sam for making this forum available to us newbies. I’m posting my latest effort for any input from the membership. What I’m posting is a practice plate from GRS with the design laser etched. I know some consider these plates to be “color by the numbers†but for someone new to engraving it gives me a chance to have a good piece of art work to work with. Please excuse the photography, that’s another area where I’m new. It’s rough being new to all this stuff at age 59.

Attachments

• PP 1.JPG
    PP 1.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 180
  • PP 2.JPG
    PP 2.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 201
  • PP 3.JPG
    PP 3.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 170

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Steve B. and welcome to a friendly place.
Some may call it painting by numbers.
I sure don't.
It's great practice to teach your brain,eyes and hands to recognize good smooth shapes.
You did very, very well. Keep her going!
I wish I had this technology available to me when I was teaching. It's a great tool.
My students just got printed copy machine scrolls to transfer with acetone.
The GRS plates are much better, with clearer lines to follow.
That being said, don't neglect your drawing and scroll study.
You will want to be able to design your own work to fill the available spaces.
Nice work and not bad photos. I can see everything. And that will improve also.
Best wishes. John B.

Last edited:

M A Smith

Hello Steve Baldwin,

It is only my independent opinon, but you should find no guilt in your postings. Your enthusiasm and willingness to communicate is offerring enough. Your practice plates are nice. It is not difficult to love engraving. I think the biggest challange for engravers is to keep the fire fueled, to stay motivated about this trade. So find your fuel.

M A Smith

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Steve, welcome to the forum, I also attended a grs class with Sam as the teacher about 5 years ago [ i had been carving coins for about 6 years before i took the class ]..I was and still am a coin carver, the knowledge i recieved from the class would have took me a lifetime to get on my own and the money i spent for the class, motel, food, etc. was recovered within two months or less after i got back home..

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Steve, and welcome to the Cafe! The photos and work looks great. Enjoy the fellowship with all the Cafe members. Great bunch we have here. / ~Sam

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Steve , thats the best lookin' paint by numbers I've ever seen!
To my untrained eye I say it looks pretty darn good.
welcome,
Kent