Stipple Point

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
I am sure many have thought and do this but have not seen it posted. I use either HSS(cobalt) or Carbide rounds of 1/16, 3/32 and 1/8 " for stipple points. I chuck them in a battery run drill grind a relief angle of "approx"(eyeball!) 5-10 degrees then a point of "approx" 45-60 degrees. I set the round in the drill chuck so that the point is ground eccentric. Mount the near side of the eccentric point in my QD holder so that it is at the top or when I can see the point better. This allows for better visual control of where the point is under the microscope.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Which of the below is your point shape. Your description is kinda foggy.

Eccentric--not having the same center; not concentric, as on a camshaft.
Concentric--having a common center, as circles or spheres.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Which of the below is your point shape. Your description is kinda foggy.

Eccentric--not having the same center; not concentric, as on a camshaft.
Concentric--having a common center, as circles or spheres.
The 45-60deg point is eccentric, putting the point on one side of the rod. Sorry for the fog!

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How do you get an eccentric point grinding it spinning? Do you offset your blank a little bit? Or do you chuck it up in your qc holder?

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, you must in some manner off-set the rods. I fined that by chucking it in a QC holder of the size of rod and tightening the screw off-set it a little and in some cases enough but using a holder of the next size(1/16 rod in a 3/32 qc) also works. I have also used a very thin shim on one jaw of the 3 on the drill will also accomplish the same thing. Perhaps there is a better way to "see" the exact point and have the Mastero EX almost vertical but this works for me. When the point is concentric with the rod for me it is a guess where the point is. Just trying to be more accurate.

Latest posts

Sponsors