Stipple shaddinf

Jaxthejeweler

Stipple shading help. I find that when I oxidize my engraving, I have to figure a way to sand off the excess oxidization resulting in taking away the darkness and smoothness of the stipple shading. Any thoughts? This is brass. And I know the shading is sub par- just learning.

I use a Lindsay classic hand piece and a graver sharpened to a point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 131

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
that's a puzzler. you could use a brass/copper polish, but that would probably remove whatever oxidation you just put in the cuts to darken them. maybe some fine, 800 grit or higher, compound on a toothbrush?

707chrisa

When I did patinas on bronze and had to do it fast ( which was most of the time as a student ) I would over do it and then buff back the highlights with a burlap cloth with nothing on it . Then to hide the green shade I would use hard carnauba wax. Johnsons' floor wax ,use to be cheep but it dose last . I still use wax to age wood and keep patinas looking good . I soot up a steel plate with an acetylene flame and use that to color the wax. You can buy the dark floor wax but you will get more use out of the clear. It can make a real mess, SamW idea to just buy it may be the best way to go. Whole books could be done on patinas.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Johnson's floor wax does indeed last. I waxed a car many years ago with it. Hard work....but water still beaded up on it a year later. You reminded me...I think I have a book on patinas around here somewhere.