Stippling a GRS handpiece

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
Took a cue from gun grips and am experimenting on my handpiece. I want to get a lighter hand grip for accuracy and decided to stipple my GRS monarch. I like the texture so far. I’ll update my findings when I’m finished. Anybody else try something similar?

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
n.o. but all of my pushgraver handles a heavily textured. they feel better that way and are less likely to slip if my paw is sweaty

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm all for modifying tools to suit the user. my Monarch handpiece has a swivel air fitting so the tubing is free to turn without twisting.

One thing I've wanted GRS to do for years is color-code their handpieces. I have a Monarch, a Magnum, and a 901, and they're all anodized a light bluish silver. Many of us take off our glasses while using a microscope, and at arm's length they all look alike. It would sure would be nice if one was red? and another black? blue? gold? purple? It seems so obvious, but they've never done it.

How about passing that along, Sam?

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpeg
    IMG_0702.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 23

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
i'm all for modifying tools to suit the user. my Monarch handpiece has a swivel air fitting so the tubing is free to turn without twisting.

One thing I've wanted GRS to do for years is color-code their handpieces. I have a Monarch, a Magnum, and a 901, and they're all anodized a light bluish silver. Many of us take off our glasses while using a microscope, and at arm's length they all look alike. It would sure would be nice if one was red? and another black? blue? gold? purple? It seems so obvious, but they've never done it.

How about passing that along, Sam?
Not a bad idea if there was a coloring that would last. I use stainless steel knobs on all my handpieces so they can't be anodized. I also use the 901 for everything except stippling, and for that I use a Maestro EX which is a stippling BEAST. If I cut brightcut western, which is about once a year, I would use my Magnum, but it lives in the drawer the other 364 days.

I'll be happy to pass the idea along.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Why not just have some fun and engrave or inlay MON, MAG, and 901 into the back of them in your spare time? Or a bird, dog, and fish, etc.? Certainly less expensive than ordering new components and a lot more personal. I just hang them in the same order all the time. I'm apparently lazy. What I wish for from GRS is a hanger with more sizes of holes or a couple of adjustable ones. Some of the holes on the current one are too large for the small Maestro. Perhaps we need to get GRS to put a WISHLIST page on their website so we can dream more!

Reactions: Sam

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
those knobs are aluminum and anodizing can be done in almost any color imaginable.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'll bet violin rosin would work as well. Or pitcher's rosin.
Neither or which I have, but I've got tons of beeswax which I'm going to try!

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bet it wouldn't take much effort to "rough up" a palm knob and dip it in paint. Sure, it will wear off, but it's repeatable.
Heck....you can heat color most grades of steel, even SS. Although heat coloring isn't very durable, A top coat of clear will preserve the color....and it's also repeatable.

Latest posts

Sponsors