Techniques definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rick, if you look at the Italian scrollwork very closely I'd say more than 95% of it cut with the 'bulino' graver geometry that they use is incredibly crude. Often the spines of the scrolls are made up of several cuts instead of one continuous cut. However, take your loupe away and stand back a bit and it works quite well (not in all cases though, that's dependent on the skills of the individual engraver) mainly because of the rich blacks they can achieve. But drag? Yes, their gravers do. It just can't be helped because of the way they are set up.

Zernike, just my 2 penny worth, but here are my thoughts on what you state about the cost of classes. In years gone by the way to learn engraving was to serve an apprenticeship. This normally ran for 5 years. After about year 2 the average apprentice was usually good enough to be let loose on real pieces for real clients and during the next 3 years any money his work would make would go to the Master who taught him. This paid for his education and, if after his apprenticeship, he decided to set up on his own the man who taught him was not out of pocket.

In this day and age however, there aren't that many apprenticeships around and a lot of youngsters just aren't willing to work for 5 years on relatively low wages. But there are classes now, as you state, which will give you instruction and that can and will help you in your engraving career whether as a professional or a hobbyist. The thing that upset me about your comments is that by questioning the costs of such instruction you are putting no value on the instructor/teacher. Why on earth would an instructor give up his day job (where often he can earn more money), fly into Kansas and teach a group of students for nothing? If that were to happen, no value would be placed on his skills as an engraver. What the instructor is doing is imparting his learned skills and knowledge which have taken many years to learn to students who wish to learn in a hands on manor. Yes, you can learn from books and by trial and error but often you'll spend many hundreds of hours trying to learn something which you could have learned in a week.

You quote learning music as an example. I started learning the guitar about 20 years ago. I learned mainly from books and had about 10 lessons in my late 20's. Now, I can play the guitar to a reasonable level but not what I'd consider to be a really good or excellent level because I hit a plateau and stayed there. Now if I'd continued with lessons I'd probably be a far more advanced guitarist than I am. By contrast, my wife started learning bass guitar a year ago and she finds it difficult to self-teach so has paid for lessons. And, whilst she calls herself very much a novice still, I've seen her playing skills improve daily and because she stuck with the boring stuff such as scales (which I skipped) she can now go to virtually any fret and name the note. So in a couple of years she will probably be a far better bassist than I am a guitarist who's been playing 20 odd years! But the rub is, she has had to pay for this knowledge to be passed to her from a teacher. Remember, 'there is no such thing as a free lunch!' Somewhere, somehow you have to pay your dues in order to learn and if you don't wish to pay for lessons you have to work more than doubly hard to teach yourself.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Ataboy

Hi,
I would like to propose a new word, or at least assign a new definition to a old slang word.

Ataboy = Complimenting someones work (engraving).

The root of the word is "That a Boy!" It has been condense down to ataboy.

Example would be, "I got 10 ataboys on the picture I posted". This email has a ataboy in it.
Or "I gave John Doe an ataboy." "Ataboys to John Doe on his remarkable talent."

Spell check doesn't recognize it so hopefully it not already taken.

Jim

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have read a post from Zernike. I don't know how long you have been sitting at a bench but I have been for 28 years, not as an engraver but as a goldsmith/diamond setter. I don't think you know what your talking about when you criticize the modern schools.

The only opportunity I had when learning the trade was a few weeks in the basement of a jewelry store, not much was learned. Then you worked with a master if you were lucky enough and they showed you what they felt like good or bad. Almost everything I learned was on my own and that's a tough unnecessary way to learn now days. I personally never attended any modern classes but many of my friends are teachers in these schools and are masters at what they do. The information they share is invaluable, why shouldn't they be rewarded for sharing their knowledge with others. There are a lot of people out there trying to capitalize on things of no value. If a person wanting to have a career in the jewelry or engraving arts these schools are some of the best in the world with some of the world’s best teaching the arts. There's nothing wrong with learning like that. What a person does with an education is up to the individual. There are people that finish college degree programs and are working at the Gap.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mikael,
Ataboy Chris and Marcus. You really know engraving.

I don't think ya need the "to".

Jim

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
Zernike, in the classes I have taken at GRS. I have received a distilled version of an
apprenticeship. That is what your paying for. The knowledge of how use the tooling and
system employed in modern engraving. How's that for a translation Mike.

Like Mike, I learned most of what I know the old way. That way take lots of time and you
tend to flounder a lot trying to re invent the wheel. Life could be easier having a master
show you his method.

The other benefit to going to classes is to talk to other engravers or jewellers. A lot of what
I got form going to Kansas wasn't in the hand out lessons, or even what the teacher
was teaching. This same sort thing is on the cafe'. We teach each other.
Do a face to face is the best because of the amount of ideas traded. There is just a lot
more that can done quickly.

That's the other reason for Reno. To meet and talk to other engravers. There you can see
close up the Bullion engraving. The difference it makes to change direction of the cut the
plate and how it reflects light. You can ask how was this done. I would think most of us
would tell you.

If I were in China, I would be thinking opportunity to start my own school. You could recoup
the cost of the classes you take by the tuition you charge your own students.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsors