TechoSam Kudos!!!!

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I had to share this thought I am at the moment of this post rocking in my favorite chair after my nighly 2 hour read of a finacial book. I have noticed in all of 24 I have read in the last year The common message is "serve more People" not like Mcdonald's but in meaningfull life changing way. I dont know about eveyone else but my "shop talk" around the house is pretty much me daydreming In this day and age we have advantages undreamed of by those before us and I would like to Thank Mr Sam Alfano for putting this sight together There is know where else Im aware of to learn, share and get encouragement in our trade from PEERS outside of this sight and I hope that you have been in someway rewarded for you work I extend the same thank you the other members who I know also work hard to keep it running smooth. I appolgize for the double spaces and spelling errors as I said we live in great time and I am reading and posting from my cell phone WOW!!!!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for your kind words, griff. Abigail and I find it very satisfying to watch the Cafe blossom into what it's become, and our reward is more than fullfilled by the friendhips we've made. The members make it what it is and everyone seems to have fun. Can't ask for more than that!

Cheers! / Sam

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
thanks sam. a year ago, i was under the impression, that there were only a handfull of engravers in the u.s.a., so i figured the only way to get advice was by books an d.v.d.s . my first attempts were crude, not shaded, but i was proud of my attempts. here, everyone opens their hearts and are not afraid to share knowledge, the machine trades when i first started, was close lipped and would get a kick when you fell on your face. you fall here, unseen freinds pick you up. ive read 72 pages of posts, plus the interviews, and any scrap of knowledge by viewing the gallery and admiring stuff i cant do yet. But, the knowledge is here. the CAFE provides help,guideness, and friends. you have done more than a civic duty by offering this site. one little tid-bit i picked up, to learn patience, and stay at your work station, apply THERMO-LOC to your chair, then sit on it until it hardens up. get more work done, then e-mail your buddys at the CAFE to come and get you out of it.......

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
we still need you,tira, and others interviewed. dont know if you are familiar with "GUNSMITH KICKS", it was put together by BOB BROWNELL. IT WAS THE RESULTS OF DISCUSSIONS BETWEENBROWNELL AND HUNDREDS OF GUNSMITHS FRIENDS HE CORRESPONDED WITH OVER YEARS. this could be done also with the forum here. an engraving kinks book of sorts, and it would be on the benches within easy reach.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
we still need you,tira, and others interviewed. dont know if you are familiar with "GUNSMITH KICKS", it was put together by BOB BROWNELL. IT WAS THE RESULTS OF DISCUSSIONS BETWEENBROWNELL AND HUNDREDS OF GUNSMITHS FRIENDS HE CORRESPONDED WITH OVER YEARS. this could be done also with the forum here. an engraving kinks book of sorts, and it would be on the benches within easy reach.

Hi Richard.
I share you deep regard for the Cafe forum and thank Sam and Abigail for it.
Also Tira, Andrew and Monk for their hard work and all the other members who add to the knowledge.
And without taking anything away from your idea or the Cafe I would like to point out that a book close to what you propose already exists.
It is called the "How To Book of Engraving" and is available for a very low price from the FEGA website.
I am not sure if it is still free when you first join FEGA, it used to be.
Maybe Rex or Andrew can chime in on that.
This information is offered to help those that may not know of this publication.
Best wishes and thanks to all. John B.

PS. It may already be mentioned in Tira's excellent list of helpful books.

Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would submit to all the thought that this is the ultimate forum for sharing. I applaud the environment created by Sam, Tira, Andrew and Monk which provides a place for the non-critical assessment of ones work whether it's at the very top 'o the top, a rank beginner or anywhere in between. Like Richard, I too am stunned to learn of the number of engravers (in the USA alone, not counting those in foreign countries). I spent a long time being somewhat geographically isolated. It is stimulating to say the least, to see the work and read the posts of those who take the time to contribute here.
Thanks to Sam for taking the effort and time to create this site and thanks to you all for making it the place it is!

Long live the engraving arts!!

Weldon

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi John,
Sorry I didn't jump in earlier but I've been a little busy.
The How-To Handbook is still available free to new members. Current members can log into the "members" section and download it as well.
And of course, iGraver rocks!

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
The EC has kept me inspired and motivated. I haven't started any engraving yet. I'm still trying to master some scrolls and layout, drawing alot. But seeing so much artistry and dedication really is good!

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
JOHN B., iam new to engraving and the computor, there are many sites i havent visited,but ill get there. i am aware of all the work that TIRA,MONK,AND ANDREW put forth here, anyone who reads thru theses pages, should see that. i was just thanking everyone for their friendship. people like MONK,who listens to me on a daily e-mail, BRIAN POWLEY AND KENT SYNDER, who will help at the drop off a hat. why, because everyone one at one time or another, needs help. thats why Sam set this up, i think. I still would like to know how TIRA, engraved that alum. pot and brass lampshades without getting vibration and chatter in her work?

Last edited:

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
SAM, i still beleive by compiling the posts into a book form, maybe titled[ THOUGHTS,METHODS,AND WISDOM from ENGRAVING CAFE] and taking some of the proceeds and help pay for engraving classes for our members, would help promote the field of engraving as a whole. our members will buy the books,and you can never have too many engraving books out there, and maybe with the sale of the book, scholarships from this foundation, could make this a self-sustaining venture.

Last edited:

tldcowboygear

I'm in for the book. This forum is absolutely fantastic. If I tried to expound on that thought I would only repeat what has been said so well in the past. Thanks, Sam, Abigail and crew! Having said that, having a hard copy to flip through, mark on, admire and take to bed to read would be TREMENDOUS! It would be very hard to keep up with, as there is so much information and great help that comes in daily it would almost have to be kind of like the Farmer's Almanac (hmmmmm that is a thought - The Engraver's Almanac from the Engraver's Cafe) and published on a yearly or bi yearly basis. This could turn into a monster.

D.C.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
tldcowboygear, unknown to the members, they have been writing a wonderful book all along. you have wit,wisdom,methods,cut fingers,knowledge, and even hummingbirds, to round out everything. you are right about the totalage of material here, there would have to be sequels to the volumes. But, needs money for a start up. HEY MONK??????

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when c. roger bleile wrote his book and published it, the thought in many a mind was that this art was dying ! i may be mistaken about numbers, but i think roger, at that time, only knew of maybe 125 or so part and full time gun engravers in the entire usa ! most of the engravers back then were old or thinkin about getting old. i can only say it's a blessing for this art that this forum now exists. not for the pros so much, but for the newbies. for the newcomers, gadzooks- how great is this place ? stay tuned till eleven for answer !

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
here, we would all be writing a book,no one could ever be forgotten,jointly all have contributed. yes, there are other engraving books out there, i have 30 that deal with the aspects,but they all have the same shortcomings. they fail to elaborate on methods, the pitfalls, problem solving everyone runs into, just basic hands-on-approach , and the technical knowledge is put in laymans terms. you see how people conquer and find ways to hold parts to engrave, how they overcome shortage of money and make their own tools like hammers out of valve stems. here if your drawing needs help, if your shaded areas are out of touch with what youve drawn, its easly fixed and they show you how. yes, a book needs printed, one that goes where no engaving book has gone before, a good problem solving book for when the internet is down, and you are all contributing authors.