Texas Two Step

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
The late Frank Hendricks was a very well know Texas engraver as well as the first president of FEGA. One of his sayings was that there were two steps to gun engraving...drawing what you want to engrave on the gun...and cutting what you draw.

I polish the metal to a worn 600 grit w/d and draw very lightly with a fine scribe using the side of the point to burnish off lines needing correction. The photo is a bit hard to see but under good lighting on the bench the design shows up very well. FP 1.jpg Cut.jpg BP progress.jpg

Here is an example on my latest project...

FP 1.jpg
Cut.jpg

And the real fun is watching the design come to life as it emerges from the steel!

BP progress.jpg

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Hallo from Norway. I see that you all alive since last Fega...As you know, Im still a hobby engraver, but I have a lot of contact with engraver Roger Ronnie, and Roger says that he learned engraving from Frank H. ...Anyway this tread from you Sam W explains how easy engraving really is....

Another example of if you can really really draw, you can probably also engra......or ??

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Hallo from Norway. I see that you all alive since last Fega...As you know, Im still a hobby engraver, but I have a lot of contact with engraver Roger Ronnie, and Roger says that he learned engraving from Frank H. ...Anyway this tread from you Sam W explains how easy engraving really is....

Another example of if you can really really draw, you can probably also engra......or ??
Had a lot of smileys in former post....tried to be funny, sorry..

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Had a lot of smileys in former post....tried to be funny, sorry..
No need to appologize, brother. Meeting Sam W. at the show, and seeing his work first hand was an ablosute eye opener for me as well. Wow! It is difficult to imagine a greater representation of the world's greatest engraving talent, all in one place. But there it is......The FEGA show is absolutely the place to be.

Ingen grunn til å be om unnskyldning, bror. Å møte Sam W. på showet, og se. Hans arbeid fra første hånd var også en fullstendig øyeåpner for meg. Wow! Det er vanskelig å forestille seg en større representasjon av verdens største graveringstalent, alt i ett Men det er det ... FEGA-showet er absolutt stedet å være.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
It was a most pleasant evening, Sam. I had the pleasure of sitting at Lee Griffiths table. I have to admit, I'm from a different world and didn't know him from Adam when I sat down. What an incredibly gracious host, and amazing craftsman. What a pleasure it was to meet you and Lee at the show, and see your work firsthand.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
No need to appologize, brother. Meeting Sam W. at the show, and seeing his work first hand was an ablosute eye opener for me as well. Wow! It is difficult to imagine a greater representation of the world's greatest engraving talent, all in one place. But there it is......The FEGA show is absolutely the place to be.

Ingen grunn til å be om unnskyldning, bror. Å møte Sam W. på showet, og se. Hans arbeid fra første hånd var også en fullstendig øyeåpner for meg. Wow! Det er vanskelig å forestille seg en større representasjon av verdens største graveringstalent, alt i ett Men det er det ... FEGA-showet er absolutt stedet å være.
Have to ask Michael, your post is also in Norwegian, or is it only me seeing this ?

Jørn-Ove

707chrisa

love the way the Eli has a walk on part or it it walking off ? defiantly outside the box! No wonder I cant draw its' in Norwegian. Fantastic work thank you for the post

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
My mouth waters everytime I see TOS's layed out work...........he is one of my favs