Thanks + noise

C.H. Rasmussen

Sam, thanks for organizing this great forum. Along with your website, it is a wonderful resource.
I was particularly interested in the recent thread about hammer and chisel engraving. I would also be interested in more tips and information on this method. I don't know if anybody else has this problem, but, the noise generated by the rapidly impacting pneumatic handpieces bothers me. I tend to keep mine adjusted for the slower and longer strokes just for this reason - the lower frequencies generated are not so annoying. I started with the palm push method years ago and this is really my first choice. I have not done very much hammer and chisel work, but, I would like to do more.
Is anybody else interested in hammer and chisel? Or maybe I'll just have to knit a soundproof bootie for my graver.
Thanks, Sam

Craig

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Craig: Thanks for participating in the Cafe, and I'm glad you're enjoying it.
It would be great if we could get a hammer & chisel thread going. I'm not sure how many Cafe engravers use a hammer, though. I also use my handpiece at slower speeds...usually in the 2300 strokes per min range, except for stippling, where I crank it up to 4000-5000.

Hammer & chisel work (for me) is considerably slower, and I feel I have more control with my handpiece, but there's still plenty of great work being done the traditional way. If you have any questions about engraving with hammer & chisel I'll try to answer them.

Cheers / ~Sam

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Noise

Craig,
I've got the same issue with noise. Especially if a plate is unsupported in the middle. I always use the foam type ear plugs and it's a big help.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Craig,
I cut exclusively with h & c. I never think about noise but have a solution for you if you need relief. Get yourself a pair of Peltor 8 earmuffs or equivalent. They are for shooting...........but they have an electronic dampener in them so any noise much above 80 decibels is eliminated and...............you can hear normal conversation, radio, music etc at the same time. They are very light you'll forget you have them on.
they can be had for about $120, for me they are worth every penny, check em' out on the net for more info. And if you shoot, well you got a double whammy goin' then!:D
Kent

Latest posts

Sponsors