The artistic side of engraving

Andrew Biggs

This post is aimed more at the beginners and people starting out engraving and looking for some direction.

We all know about tools, sharpening, heel angles, transferring, drawing, cutting, techniques etc. etc. These are all the technical bits and pieces we have to know to become competent in the engraving arts. They are only achieved by honing your observation skills and practice, practice, practice. They are all extremely important.

On the forums we sometimes get preoccupied with all of the technical stuff and who is using what, where and how.

But what about the more artistic side of things that are perhaps the very reasons some of us have taken up engraving as a pastime or hobby. Part of any artistic endeavour is what inspires us.

This is an often overlooked part of ourselves that gets lost in the daily noise and grind that surrounds us all. It can help create the emotional bond that is essential to our work. Inspiration can come from anywhere, and it can be whimsical.

A favourite pet, a twinkle in your partners eye, your children’s first holy communion, religious beliefs, the nape of a lovers neck, flowers in the garden, a beautiful sunrise, fast cars, sport, a song, a wild animal, an historical character or event, a good book or story, the company of a friend, a beautiful scroll or a mother holding a child. All of these things can bring inspiration into our work.

Another source of inspiration can come through reading about engraving artists themselves. I’ve just finished reading the Pedersoli book and you can’t help but be inspired when he describes his engravings and his thoughts and ideas behind them. Winston Churchill’s book is in the same category when you read about his beginnings and the way he views his work and attention to detail. The recent pendant that Winston engraved for Kim Pember using the roses from a bush that his mother planted years ago is a fantastic example of inspiration and artistry.

There is inspiration all around us if we only have the eyes to see.

So if you are just starting out in this wonderful endeavour we call engraving, perhaps you can shut out a bit of the daily noise and find a little direction within your own soul and start engraving subjects that inspire and motivate you. Sometimes if you form a bond with your work you will be rewarded with better results. And if the project doesn’t quite turn out the way you want it to………then move onto the next one taking the lessons learnt with you.

Well, that’s my thought for the day

Cheers
Andrew

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Andrew,
Thanks to you for the note on inspiration and to recognize the feeling that goes with it keep up the good work.

Cheers

"VAN"

Last edited:

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
When did you first start engraving? Do you feel that your work as a sign painter helped with your engraving, as far as design/drawing goes?

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, We needed that...
Reading Ron Smiths latest book "Advanced Drawing of Scrolls" gives alot of inspiration and insight...
Ron speaks from his soul and experience coming up with the desire to engrave...
A must read for a person wanting to engrave or to just get some inspiration...
Thanks Ron I have enjoyed...
Jerry

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

Thanks for your thoughts on the artistic side of what we do. I find that most beginners are "all ate up" about gravers, tool grinding, air assisted tools, and microscopes and rarely speak of the art aspect which is the soul of what we do. When I speak with experienced engravers the conversation is more directed to the art side. When I began I had an insufficient art background, basically four years of art in high school. Fortunately my brother was more grounded in art and that was a big help. In my case it was the desire to be a better engraver that led me to the greater world of art. As a result I have spent countless hours in places like the Louvre, Uffizi, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art soaking up all of the beauty and inspiration I could take in. Did all this make me a better engraver? I don't know but I feel it surely made me a better- rounded person with a more discerning eye for all types of art. As someone else wrote "there can never be too much beauty in the world." Look for it in everything and everywhere!

Roger

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
inspiration, thanks ANDREW. i try to take walks with my camera in the woods. i take pictures of vines,wheat,sticks,flowers, leaves,animals,birds,butterflys,or anything that catches my admiration. in the springtime, i carry a tape recorder to tape the millons of frogs out on their spring-break, then play it back when winter really sets in here. sometimes what i take pictures of isnt always what is the focus of my engravings, but it may serve for a very good background to enhance the engraving. when i read all thru the posts, i came across JOSEPH,ENGRAVER,SCULPTURE post,now who couldnt get inspired by that fellow? but, like you said, we all need inspiration , and it could come from allmost anywhere. the work-bench thread is an example, and its got alot of attention. sometimes in my travels in the woods, i come across old deer bones and antlers, bring them home,put them in bleach to clean them up, then scrimshaw whatever comes to mind at that moment. sometimes an old quilt made long ago, will stimulate or trigger an idea. i bought alot of books for reference and ideas. the ideas and stimulation is out there, its an art gallery in itself.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
good concept Andrew,

It is common to be inspired by other engravers work (I often am). But I would encourage folks not to discount inspiration from other sources, even non-art related sources. Things like popular culture. I grew up as a monster movie watching comic book reading kid. A lot of things from those comics and movies find their way into my thematic engravings. I guess maybe a side effect of never growing up;)

Popular movies often still influence not only me but many of my customers. For example I currently have a gladiator themed piece on the bench and I have another similar theme to do based on the 300 Spartans. I think maybe that is why I connect well with many of my customers we both enjoy the same kind of entertainment and when we get to talking about themes we seem to reference the same sources.

Fine art is a good source of inspiration but I have found the entertainment end of popular culture to be just as inspiring.

Ray

Andrew Biggs

Pappy.....yes, my background in the sign painting feild definatley helped. I'm old school and learnt with a brush and mahl stick which I was fortunate enough to teach my daughter when she did her apprenticship with me. Nowadays it's 99.9% computer driven which is one of the reasons I was drawn to doing something with my hands again. Dusting off the pencils was incredibly hard but enjoyable and satisfying work. I draw everyday now and I'm loving it. A lot of my inspiration came from John Barraclough. A truley wonderful friend and mentor. Later, making the journeys to America and meeting other engravers from FEGA and the forums and befriending them just added to the inspiration. Another source comes from the things around me and the books I've read with the often subliminal influences they have had on me.

Ray.......you would love reading Bill Brysons book "The Thunderbolt Kid" It's an auto-biography of his childhood days in 1950's mid west America. An often hilarious and poignent read.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Excellent points, Andrew, and thank you for sharing them.

Abigail will tell you that I'm a ornamental nerd. I stop dead in my tracks when I see nice scroll, carving, sculpture, or any nice art for that matter. My cellphone runneth over with snapshots of everything from carving on furniture, an interesting pattern in a carpet weave, or carved stone on a historic building. During long flights and quiet moments around the house, my sketchbooks get a workout. My inspiration comes mostly from these things, and keeping an open eye and mind to the natural beauty around us makes us all better artists. It's there for the taking. All we have to do is give it the study and appreciation it deserves. / ~Sam

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Andrew, nice thoughts. I was the same way in my airbrush art, everything having gone to computer graphics. It just wasnt the same, I never did try computer graphics just kind of went over to my knifemaking and engraving. Recently I went through my old portfolios and hung most of them in my new studio at home. We moved this year and I have lots more room now:) I try to capture the same looks in my engraving as I did with my airbrush illustrations, the smooth shading and subtle things liie how a shadow follows the shape of what it falls on. Being an artist all my life has definately helped in my engraving, design, composition, colors that compliment each other. As a result I developed my color engraving and learn new things with each new piece.

Yes inspiration is all around us we only need to look. Each morning try and see beauty and inspiration to start the day. A dew drop on a flower petal or a ladybug on a leaf:D

Thanks for this thread, all the technical perfection in sharpening tools, making perfect cuts really does not do much good if our hearts and souls are not in it and show behind it all.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the thread Andrew, I hear what you guys are saying and believe it completely, This last year my wife and I went to Lake City Colorado with about 12-15 couples from our church and all the way up there, about a 12 hr drive for us, I couldn't help but notice the beauty of things, old, new, cars, buildings, trees, mountains, streams, cows, :D The comment to my wife & friends about the beautiful cow was a bit much for them, they didn't see any beauty in it. But looking at her, I truly believe she was everything her Creator meant for her to be, her coat was silky and shiny, her belly was nice and round, her muscles bulged in all the right places, she was simply beautiful, She inspired me, and I'll one day engrave her on the side of a model 92 when I get good enough to do her justice. Thanks again guys for what you do and you teach all of us new comers how to do things and what to look for and think about. Dwayne

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
heart and soul !! who then engraved the "mona lisa" of the engraving world,who holds that esteem seat? there would be more than one whom we inspire to be more like. talented people of whom i just woke up to the fact that they existed until serveral years ago. before that, there were just names attached to the bottom of a photo in a gun magazine and their work in steel caught my eyes and i marveled at their abilities. you could however, see the heart an soul in their work. when i thought of engravers in the 1960"s my thoughts at that time period were the british and the italians. i beleived then that was were it all started,but, i was young then, knew little of the small world. the engraving arts have come along ways since then pertaining to talent and skill, but once in a while, you can see that soul, that deep caring and devotion to beauty, come out of the person. maybe, it should be just called love !

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew for the post, it's very reaffirming to me :) My sources of inspration in my work come from many varied sources, but none more refreshing and inspiring than the ones that just jump out at me that other non artist types are obolivious to. I picked up an acorn on a wooded walk with my sister on Cape Cod one time and couldn't wait to get back home and engrave one-it's been a great seller and I always think back to that special day we had on the Cape whenever I engrave one. An old rialroad rounded bolt's head is still one of my best dapping tools and it's taken on new uses and will stay with me forever in my work as a great tool, picked up as otherwise "usless" junk on a break from work walking down the tracks.
A sewer cap photographed by my sister on her trip to Oregon with a beautifully sculpted rose on its cover still awaits me when my skill levels are there to engrave it.
I made my good friend (who gave me my frist set of spurs that got my career going) a nice set of spurs a few years later in tribute for his special gift. I was stumped on what to use for mountings and mulled over many ideas as it had to be my best work and unique to him; all of which didn't feel right. Driving home on a miserable rainy cold Novemeber day I spotted a line worker in his rain-slicker coat working on the phone pole. He kind of reminded me of the Marlboro man in that yellow coat and in a instant, the perfect plan came to mind. I had a picture of my friends face and used PhotShop to turn it into a silhoueete like the familiar black and white Marlboro man image- yet it was recognizeable as my friend (He's a "red's" man). It was a huge hit, the best idea I could have had, and all of that came about just driving home on a miserable weather day for lunch.
Every day and every situation brings new potential to inspire us all, the biggest thrills are the ones out there just waiting for that magical moment of divine inspiration :)
Paul

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paul,

Your story above reminded me of something from one of my engraving projects. Back in '81 I was working on a Ruger #1 and had designed a full scene for each side but I was stumped by what to do with that little projection at the bottom of the froward edge of the receiver. I was in church one day and when I looked up at the stained glass window above my pew I saw that a saint's feet were resting on on two such shapes, one pointed left and one pointed right. Each had a leaf design that was perfect for my project. I guess that one must have been divine inspiration!

Roger

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good stories!!............and inspirational in themselves also,........... and the depth of understanding and passion that can create beauty, but isn't it strange that there are people out there who cannot percive this? It is in every human, but it has been directed and distracted by other pursuits I guess. Who can explain it?

Thanks for the stories. I enjoyed them immensely. I think it somewhat comes by keeping one foot on the earth and the love of creation, and the other in heaven........thanks guys.......Good stories!!

Right on, ride on. ......Forward!!.......and upward!!

Ron S