the Hand Engraving Podcast is on the air!

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all, I started my own podcast. the Hand Engraving Podcast "The world's best, and onliest podcast dedicated to the art artists of hand engraving" Currently you can listen here:

the Hand Engraving Podcast • A podcast on Anchor

or here:

the Hand Engraving Podcast | Podcast on Spotify

Soon it will be available on all major podcast carriers.

Episode1, I talk to the world famous oil painter turned engraver, Sean Cheetham. Sean and I discuss his life and art. I enjoyed the conversation and I hope you will too.

Please give it a listen. Thank you HandEngraving podcast_01.jpg

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Just finished listening to your podcast and it was wonderful. How often will you be broadcasting?

Allan

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Just finished listening to your podcast and it was wonderful. How often will you be broadcasting?

Allan
Thanks for listening and thanks for the feedback. I think it’s just gonna be once a month. I have about two years worth of shows planned and that’s not counting the interview shows. So maybe a monthly show can last a good long time. We’ll see if I can gain some listeners.

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Awesome! Glad to see someone doing this. It was my intent years ago but I never got around to it. Good luck!!
Thanks a lot. There are podcasts for every interest under the sun, but for whatever reason not for engraving. I hope that I can persuade you to do an episode (or two)

Hi Wade!

I am super new to engraving. I’m a 25 year professional tattooist and I’ve been doing welding machining & fabrication for a little longer, and worked in metal shops before I got my feet under me tattooing. I’m also a reloader, firearms history nut, and blacksmith/ knifemaker. I studied jewelry and crafts in art school in the ‘90s.

I don’t know what I expected to hear but in some ways it was like listening to my own story on your first podcast- except I’m not a world class oil painter and my engraving is still baby steps

I’m from Philly and my only experience with engraving growing up was the swirls embossed in a lone ranger cap pistol set. I have only met one hand engraver in person other than some gem setters and jeweler friends. I guess I had some kind of stereotype of an older southern or western gentleman master engraver, who dresses like a cowboy action shooter with a colorfully styled mustache.

Anyway I really enjoyed your first effort. It was neat to hear that my story might not be as far from normal in the engraving world as I thought. I’m looking forward to hearing about the experiences and personalities of your future guests and hope to have my stupid stereotypes further busted as you explore all the varied walks of life and kinds of folks that have really made a name in this craft.

As far as constructive criticism I’d say don’t be afraid to be slightly informal with less editing. I haven’t heard a podcast that needed to be edited to fit in a radio spot and I wouldn’t mind a slightly longer episode at the expense of digressions from a clear narrative or excursions into very technical topics. I very much appreciate your avoidance of Lindsay vs GRS or pneumatic vs hammer/chisel debate but if someone wants to say they love a parallel heel or use mineral spirits instead of naptha to thin their rustoleum I’m into the nerd stuff.

I loved hearing about books and engravers that influenced your guest too!

Thanks for doing this and keep it up!

Kevin

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Wade!

I am super new to engraving. I’m a 25 year professional tattooist and I’ve been doing welding machining & fabrication for a little longer, and worked in metal shops before I got my feet under me tattooing. I’m also a reloader, firearms history nut, and blacksmith/ knifemaker. I studied jewelry and crafts in art school in the ‘90s.

I don’t know what I expected to hear but in some ways it was like listening to my own story on your first podcast- except I’m not a world class oil painter and my engraving is still baby steps

I’m from Philly and my only experience with engraving growing up was the swirls embossed in a lone ranger cap pistol set. I have only met one hand engraver in person other than some gem setters and jeweler friends. I guess I had some kind of stereotype of an older southern or western gentleman master engraver, who dresses like a cowboy action shooter with a colorfully styled mustache.

Anyway I really enjoyed your first effort. It was neat to hear that my story might not be as far from normal in the engraving world as I thought. I’m looking forward to hearing about the experiences and personalities of your future guests and hope to have my stupid stereotypes further busted as you explore all the varied walks of life and kinds of folks that have really made a name in this craft.

As far as constructive criticism I’d say don’t be afraid to be slightly informal with less editing. I haven’t heard a podcast that needed to be edited to fit in a radio spot and I wouldn’t mind a slightly longer episode at the expense of digressions from a clear narrative or excursions into very technical topics. I very much appreciate your avoidance of Lindsay vs GRS or pneumatic vs hammer/chisel debate but if someone wants to say they love a parallel heel or use mineral spirits instead of naptha to thin their rustoleum I’m into the nerd stuff.

I loved hearing about books and engravers that influenced your guest too!

Thanks for doing this and keep it up!

Kevin
Thanks a lot for the support, and the feedback.
I planned and planned for how things would be, and then when I was actually faced with the limitations of the program I was using for recording...well things changed. There is more audio (a lot more) but it the clipping and interference was so bad that it was unusable. I already have plans to fix this for future recordings.
Another problem was that I had never edited an audio recording before, and I have already discovered ways to be better for next time.
If there's ever anything you want to ask or hear about on the show, please drop me a line here or at the shows page on Instagram.
Wade Oliver Wilson (@the_hand_engraving_podcast) • Instagram photos and videos
Thank you

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm saving your podcasts to a special folder for future reference. Hope you don't mind me doing it.

Latest posts

Sponsors