The 'ZZ' Zippos

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi all!

The radio station I listen to KYYS 99.7FM is celebrating their 33rd year with the usual Birthday Bash concert next Saturday, September 15th. Headliner is ZZ Top.

I'm the station's 'official un-official photographer' which means they get me a press pass and I give them pictures. Lots of fun getting to be down in front of the front row during the first few songs with my good camera gear.

Since I've taken up engraving I thought it would be a fun project to make some custom Zippo lighters for the guys from ZZ Top. I discussed it with the station and they agreed so I pulled the ZZ Top logo off of their site and KY's logo - the hippo - off of theirs.

As I'll explain when I present them, the day after the concert is when I leave for class to learn how to engrave.

Ah well, they look pretty good in person.

In dim light.

After you've maybe had a couple of drinks.

Attachments

• set.jpg
    set.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 181
  • zzlighter.jpg
    zzlighter.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 191

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i always liked their tune, velcro fly. and you better send along a fire extinguisher. or perhaps they dip in flame retardant !

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys!

Primarily it should turn into backstage access. ;)

But since they collect guns, guitars, and motorcycles I figure it can't hurt to have included my contact info inside the case.

The all-brass Zippos are much nicer to engrave than the slightly cheaper hard-chrome one. I see myself doing lots more of these. They're a slightly pricey practice plate, but with the wholesale account I have they're not that much and if I do good then I've got something I can sell / give.

Latest posts

Sponsors