This happen to anybody else?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Probably a couple times a month I'll get a call from somebody local inquiring about getting some item engraved. Typically these are/would be small inscriptions on some sort of personal item and if a little back & forth determines it can probably be engraved by traditional means we make arrangements for them to bring it by. Usually we've already discussed price, directions to my house, and many times we've had somewhat of an extensive conversation about the project, the weather, how much this area has grown in recents years, yada yada, etc...

And I never hear from them again. I'm not kidding- this probably happens 80% of the time. It's gotten to the point where I'm seriously considering just turning away any & all inquiries of this sort as a waste of my time.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When my brother and I used to work local gun shows, we called the situation you described "the black hole." Somehow these folks who were all tuned up to get some engraving fell into a black hole before they got to us. My guess is that after they heard the price for hand engraving they were too embarrassed to admit that it was way beyond their expectations but, not wanting to admit that, they continued on with a charade to save face.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
only a couple times for hand engraving. all the time for the commercial work i do. i frequently hear, " i can get it cheaper at the mall". problem is, there's no commercial engravers within 12 miles of me.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
The ones that makes me nuts are the ones that till me I have to ask my wife before I can commit and never hear from them, or do you use a dremel tool to engrave the guns. J.J.

monk

Staff member
i have done several. only one really bothered me. it was for my mother. it was a 2 hour job that took about 5 hours to do.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Received a call from a client yesterday with bad news his gunsmith damage the engraving on the gun I engraved for him now I have to see if the engraving can be repaired.This is what happens when guns get in the wrong hands. J.J.

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
Received a call from a client yesterday with bad news his gunsmith damage the engraving on the gun I engraved for him now I have to see if the engraving can be repaired.This is what happens when guns get in the wrong hands. J.J.
Take a few pictures of the damage if you can, I'd like to look at them when I see you next month..