Titanium Carbide Orvis flyrod

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey guys,

Titanium nitrate is a coating for the guides. It is similar to the Titanium nitrate coating on some drill bits and milling cutters. The ticarb is a different color but functions the same way. It puts a hard wear resistant low friction finish on the guides.

The reel seat hardware on these is either nickel silver or anodized aluminum depending on whether it is a fresh or salt water rod.

Before taking on a fly rod job make sure the metal reel seat hardware will come off. I have a T3 here and the hardware does not come off. Orvis has built some kind of positive stop into the up locking butt cap to prevent it from falling off or being taken off and lost.

That means that you will have to engrave a loose thin walled ring and a threaded tube while it is attached to a 2 foot long piece of cork and carbon fiber without crushing wither one. It can be done but you will have to be very careful.

Ray

AllanFink1960

an "up locking butt cap" ...my my my

now there is some visual imagery for ya if you dont know what he is talking about, like me....

kinda reminds me of the button on my SUV dashboard that is marked "rear wiper"...I was too scared to use that switch for the first six months I had the truck.

heh.

Tom White

These people were busy today my request was to do 4 of them with a logo and names. I wonder if these requests are all the same. Thanks for the information Ray makes my decision easier on this one this moving thin parts does not sound like it would make a fun day.

Tom

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes, I got the same request. I told them they might be better off finding a machine engraver to do the work.

Would cutting through the coating have any long term (or short term) impact on the material underneath? Such as corrosion, flaking of the coating from the surrounding areas?

reb

Latest posts

Sponsors