Tohora Waiata (Whale Song)

Andrew Biggs

Tohora Waiata (Whale Song)

The whale, which lives in the domain of the sea God Tongaroa, was, and still is, very important to Maori. It was sometimes seen as a guardian to the first canoes that journeyed to Aotearoa New Zealand and features in many tribal legends and stories and is much revered.

Stranded whales were harvested for food and the bones used to make fighting weapons like the patu and wahaika which were hand held fighting clubs/cleavers. The teeth and smaller bones were used as decorative neck ornaments. Often the Pakake (minke whale) was carved into the barge boards of the pataka (food storage house) because it represented prosperity and abundance. Often the Pakake was depicted with the manaia (bird like creature) attending them.

Today, when whales get stranded there are great efforts to return them to the sea. However the whales that cannot be returned are still harvested for their bones and teeth which are distributed to licensed carvers that work them into beautiful neck pendants and the occasional ceremonial weapon. The small town of Kaikoura, on the east coast of the South Island, runs a very successful Whale Watch operation where people can hunt whales with their cameras and enjoy these magnificent lords of the ocean.

At the back of the knife you can see the head of the whale and the body is represented by the two large spirals. The tail flows up to the front of the knife and is a stylized manaia head. The spiral bright cuts in the body reflect the light and when the knife is tilted it gives the whale movement as the light shifts down and around the cuts.

Cheers
Andrew

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
My brother worked with a guy originally for Tonga. He told stories of harvesting whales. I guess it was a huge celebration when they first get the whale, but he said after a month of eating nothing but whale for every meal, the excitement would fade. He had quite a few stories, sounded like a pretty tough bunch.

Cool design, and good job on getting around all those holes. Hopefully the Maori have plenty of stories, or you are going to have to start making some up, to keep coming up with subject matter :)

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew all your engravings are quite unique, and it's nice they often tell a story. Your sense of originality in style and design simply can't be matched. I would imagine noone would even attempt to reproduce it. It's just too complicated. Good for you! Your work will always stand out in a league of its' own.

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Andrew
Nice Knife that fits well with your wonderful engraving. And nice story , thank you.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A great engraving job and story to go with it! Imaginative and beautifully done, Andrew! :thumbsup:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What can I say that hasn't already been said before about your unique and wonderful designs? They just keep getting better and better!

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for all the kind words. One of the things about this piece was that the background was cut away heavily to give it some depth and no ink was used, just oil.

Brian..........Yip, there are plenty of stories or even parts of stories. I'm still trying to work out how cannibalism would work as a theme for knives. It might open a whole new world :)

SamW.......I'm looking forward to Reno for a break.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors