Help, please: Transfer wax alternative

RadCut

Hello everyone and thank you for welcoming me to this forum.
Can anyone help me find an alternative to Sam Alfano transfer wax?
Unfortunately in Italy it is impossible to buy, given its composition it does not pass customs controls.
I tried to contact Grs Europe but they don't have a solution to the problem.

According to Italian customs, the product contains honey, which is why it cannot be introduced into the country.

Thanks for the attention

Luca

Dutchmills

Unfortunately in Italy it is impossible to buy, given its composition it does not pass customs controls.

According to Italian customs, the product contains honey, which is why it cannot be introduced into the country.

Thanks for the attention

Luca
Radcut. I make my transfer wax with bees wax and sheep tallow about a 50/50 mix,you might have to experiment on the exact ratio. Room temperature will also play a part in your mix, good luck and have fun. Dave.

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Just buy it in an European Union country. Free transfer/movement of goods should mean the Italian customs won't look at packages between EU countries.

In the Netherlands I can buy Sam transfer wax. And I assume other jewelry supply companies in other EU countries have it in stock aswell.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Just buy it in an European Union country. Free transfer/movement of goods should mean the Italian customs won't look at packages between EU countries.

In the Netherlands I can buy Sam transfer wax. And I assume other jewelry supply companies in other EU countries have it in stock aswell.
May I ask where you can buy it in the Netherlands? Most of the companies selling engraving equipment or supplies seem to be shielded from the general public. If you are not running a business in jewelry or have an education in the field they serve, they will not sell to you. Even a good ball vise seems to be hard to get...

Marc

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
there's dozens of ways to make yer own. ex. chap stick for your lips. without much tweaking, this will work. if too stiff, add a bit of mineral oil or vegetable oil. bring to a melt, blend, ans you're done. if you make one oz of the stuff it will last a very long time.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
The procuring problem may not be limited to Italy, I‘ve just scanned some GRS carrying shops in Germany, they either don‘t list it anymore or denote it as „no longer available“. If you could still buy it in the Netherlands, replenish your stock….

Cheers

Ralf

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
The procuring problem may not be limited to Italy, I‘ve just scanned some GRS carrying shops in Germany, they either don‘t list it anymore or denote it as „no longer available“. If you could still buy it in the Netherlands, replenish your stock….

Cheers

Ralf
This might very well be contributed to the recent REACH-ban which is active since the start of 2022. I am not sure though, but there are a lot of products or at least "materials" that are considered banned in the EU. A good example is tattoo ink. Pretty much every brand and colour has been banned. It could be that for instance the beeswax is now banned from products...at least when imported.

This is a wild guess though, but quite coincidental.

Marc

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
May I ask where you can buy it in the Netherlands? Most of the companies selling engraving equipment or supplies seem to be shielded from the general public. If you are not running a business in jewelry or have an education in the field they serve, they will not sell to you. Even a good ball vise seems to be hard to get...

Marc
I am a jeweler so I can buy all I want everywhere I want. Only limit is my small budget :)

I mostly buy from:
www.BijouModerne.nl,
Herens.nl

Bijou has the most GRS stuff since they are the official reseller in NL.

Just tell them you are a student then you should be allowed to buy from them.
If not, message me and we can find a way.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
I am a jeweler so I can buy all I want everywhere I want. Only limit is my small budget :)

I mostly buy from:
www.BijouModerne.nl,
Herens.nl

Bijou has the most GRS stuff since they are the official reseller in NL.

Just tell them you are a student then you should be allowed to buy from them.
If not, message me and we can find a way.
When I was trying to get set-up with some nice gear, these were the only vendors I could find at the time in The Netherlands. GRS Europe re-directs straight to BijouModerne when you try to order from them.
I did try and register, but they would like to see some proof of being a student.

Right now, I don't believe there is anything I really "need" to order, but that could change at any given time, hahaha. My vise would like to retire, but will have to wait till I can order a new one. Not yet sure if I will be looking for a Lindsay or GRS.
I will send you a message for sure if I need any advice or help when shopping locally.

Thanks,

Marc

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There are many alternatives. You just have to experiment. Modeling clay, chapstick, just about any stiff waxy product that can produce a thin film on the surface of the metal can work. Some better than others of course. I knew an engraver who used Door Ease, which is applied to the edges of sticky doors. The old timers mixed beeswax and tallow because that's what was available, not because it had any special properties.

Saxonfan

Marc
I had that experience when trying to buy some Sardonyx pieces of stone that are usually used in intaglio rings. The company in Germany refused to sell to me because I was engraving just as a hobby.

RWP

Thanks for the attention

Luca
Slowly melt 3 chapstick tubes then mix in some graphite powder place in a small metal tin and let cool. Works great, a little goes a long way and it will last for what seems like years.

monk

Staff member
the very easiest way:: get a tin of sams' wax. it's good to go right out of the can. i found his a tad hard, i thinned it a tiny bit, worx very well. i did the chapstick thingy. stunk the house for a couple days. i used the mentholated type. wife unhappy about that !

pkroyer

atives. You just have to experiment. Mode
There are many alternatives. You just have to experiment. Modeling clay, chapstick, just about any stiff waxy product that can produce a thin film on the surface of the metal can work. Some better than others of course. I knew an engraver who used Door Ease, which is applied to the edges of sticky doors. The old timers mixed beeswax and tallow because that's what was available, not because it had any special properties.
There are not many people who are selling a product, and will give you a multitude of inexpensive alternatives. The Door Ease has a very strong odor.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
I've used Sam's Transfer wax since it was introduced. But recently I've started using clay. Dab the clay on, not too much. Use clear tape and tape it onto the the design to be transferred and gently rub it with your finger. Unpeel the tape and retape it to the spot for the new engraving. Rub it with you finger again. The design is now transferred. For me it works well.

I use this technique with flatware, jewelry that has the same engraving on multiple pieces and items that have repeated ornaments. Its inexpensive to try and if it doesn't work out you could always make little clay Easter Island heads for fun.

Allan