TransparencyTransfer Saga Continued

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't get it. I rounded up the Damar Varnish. I rounded up the synthetic lighter fluid. I rounded up the Sharpie. I bought the only transparency film I could find (3M) CG3480-5SP. I put the varnish on a small area of sterling. I covered a different part of the sterling with a light green sharpie. I printed on the smooth side of the transparency. I immediately burnished it on the sterling with the back of a spoon. 1st on the varnish, then without reprinting, burnished onto the sharpie covered sterling, then without reprinting, onto the bare sterling. All 3 transfers worked fine. Even the one with bare sterling. The printer is an HP5610 with 56 black ink. Why did this work when some others have trouble?

Andrew Biggs

I have no idea...................

Maybe it was the way you held your tounge or the birds were flying west at the time. Perhaps mars is crossing saturn in an anti clockwise direction :)

There's bound to be some really clever scientific answer..............I just don't know what it is

For some strange reason some things work for some folks and not others. Or maybe peoples expectations are different or slight variations in techniques (temprature can make a difference somtimes as I've discovered).................at the end of the day it doesn't matter................so long as it works and does what you want it to. That's what counts

Thank goodness they all worked for you. Transfering can drive you nuts when it's not working and just about tear your hair out in frustration. That's why there are so many bald engravers :D

Cheers
Andrew

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew you hit the nail on the head again.
Haraga I also found that Krylon Crystal Clear spray works pretty good, takes a little longer to dry though.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
A couple years ago I took some freshly printed transfers with me to Hawaii. When I arrived they would NOT transfer. The ink was permanently locked on. I thought that maybe it was caused by the scanners...

So the second time, I put them in an envelope inside my shirt and carried them through "security" that way.

Still did not work on arrival... never have figured that one out. We get around it now by printing them as needed on site.

I have some that are 3 or 4 years old in the studio - done on the SAME printer with the SAME transparencies - and they still work as well as the day they were made.

Same thing has happened a couple times to transfers that I have mailed. Identical transfers - out of the same batch that stayed in the studio work fine...

Please let me know if anyone has experienced something similar or has an idea of why this happens. (Besides the phase of the moon:)) I posted to the forum about it, back when it happened two years ago and got no response. By now someone has to have transported them through "security" at other airports - maybe it has something to do with the San Francisco airport scanners?

Brian Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA, USA
instructor@jewelryartschool.com
jewelryartschool.com
209-477-0550

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That is perplexing. I've flown with transparency printouts that worked fine afterward. The only problem I've had is that some transparency material will not transfer the ink after 3 or 4 hrs, while other brands will.

Maybe a trip to Hawaii to unravel this mystery is in order.

JCP

I actually had several of the thing that different people are trying to work some times but the transfer using Epson Transparencies is clear as a bell and none of the others came close. It looks just as clear after transfer as it did on transparency in most cases. It transferred OK with some of the other methods but not even close to epson and cirelli's solution in sharpness.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Please let me know if anyone has experienced something similar or has an idea of why this happens. (Besides the phase of the moon:)) I posted to the forum about it, back when it happened two years ago and got no response. By now someone has to have transported them through "security" at other airports - maybe it has something to do with the San Francisco airport scanners?

Brian Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA, USA
instructor@jewelryartschool.com
jewelryartschool.com
209-477-0550

I had a somewhat similar experience. I read about Tom White's Transfer solution and he sent me a sample. It included a transfer already done crisp and clear, and the same pattern for me to try. It barely transferred? My guess was that something must have happened to the ink during the travel to CT from where Tom is located.

Peter

nomentalgiant

Elite Cafe Member
Actually, it just might help if you pass through Louisiana with your transparencies.
The humidity down here can loosen up just about anything!!

Just ask Sam............... The hair won't even stick to his head!!!

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
One thing I've found using Tom's solution with Epson stock is. It depends how long you've left the
transparency stock out in the air and light. It dries out after a while. It's better to keep it in the envelope
they come in with the cardboard sleeve on it also.

Jim