Unique inlay technique...

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
This may be nothing new to some of you... Infact, it may be more tedious than just using wire for inlay. But, since I was having some difficulty using wire, I tried this out of desperation and it worked (generally speaking) for me. I'm not saying I'm the first to do this because I don't know if anyone else has used the technique... But I'm the first in my own little engraving world :rolleyes:

Using .32mm wire (28 gauge), I snipped 1/32" pieces off and balled them up on a soldering pad with my oxy/propane torch. I made over 200 of them and used them to inlay this coin (except for the outside gold border which is two helpings of the 28 gauge wire side by side.

I would drill a little hole with my 120º graver, make 3 or more undercuts in the little hole, and pound in a "gold BB".

Regardless of whether it's efficient to do a whole background this way, this technique can be very helpful and efficient for those small radius curves that you don't want to use wire for.... So if nothing else, the technique does have it's place.

p.s. I thank Alain Lovenburg, Jeff Parke, and Jim Small for the inspiration to try gold background!

Attachments

• Gold Inlay Ball Illustration.jpg
    Gold Inlay Ball Illustration.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 373
  • 030 Size of Spheres.jpg
    030 Size of Spheres.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 365
  • 040 Size of Spheres 2.jpg
    040 Size of Spheres 2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 368
  • 130 Inlay Border Scope.jpg
    130 Inlay Border Scope.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 377
  • 060 Spheres Started 2.jpg
    060 Spheres Started 2.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 388
  • 090 Sphere In Place.jpg
    090 Sphere In Place.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 378
  • 170 Inlay Complete.jpg
    170 Inlay Complete.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 365
  • 290 Before Shading.jpg
    290 Before Shading.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 378
  • 310 Finished through scope.jpg
    310 Finished through scope.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 384
  • 350 With Gold Wire.jpg
    350 With Gold Wire.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 384
  • 210 Inlay Flush.jpg
    210 Inlay Flush.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 368
  • 020 Drawing.jpg
    020 Drawing.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A great tutorial, Andy,

..and with your usual excellent design and execution!

I am interested to hear what time-honoured gold inlayers have to comment. Results look just great!

By the way, I see you torch the wire chunks to take up spherical shape, do you do that just bare on your soldering pad?

I am told that when doing the ancient "Etruscan bead work", gold or silver spheres are prepared by mixing the chunks in charcoal dust and heating all to melt the metal chunks which remain separated and pull into bead shape with surface tension. Many can be made at a time, later when removed from the charcoal, they are passed through graded mesh sieves and hence sorted into groups of similar diameters, later fused to the base of the jewelry in that astoundingly sophisticated way that was only properly understood in modern times... the result shows no soldering. We could talk about that on a separate thread. Anyway, wonderful work, Andy!

Rod

Last edited:

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Rod - Wow, that actually sounds really useful. I have this solderite board that I took a domed dapping punch and reamed little cavity's in. I put the little piece in the cavity and apply the heat until they ball up perfect on their own. The only problem is... when they ball up they want to jump (violently) out of the cavity. I suspect that they make the transition from solid to molten so fast that the metal somehow flings itself. Sometimes they stay put, something they fly into another cavity and combine with another piece (doubling the mass).

I have to look into "Etruscan bead work"... sounds interesting.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Andy I like your technique a lot. Thanks. Tom

That Roman/Etruscan work is called 'granulation'. For more consistent size beads, make miniature rings of wire, they will bead up into spheres when packed in charcoal and fired. The spheres are arranged in your design on the jewelry with mastic, then fused under high heat in a furnace. No solder.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you, Tom... I've seen photos of jewelry with granulation and know that they did make "Jump rings" so to speak... so the balls were exactly the same volume/size. The only difficulty is, I couldn't really make jump rings being that the lengths of wire I'm using are tiny... As I said, only 1/32" long using .32mm wire (28 gauge).

Actually, I did some math. If anyone cares to see if I have any logic in this equation... feel free to reprove my estimations. [This is just for fun]

The wire pieces that I'm melting are .32mm x .8mm. To find the volume, I'll take the area of .32mm wire (.16mm radius² x π = 8mm) times the length of each piece.

8mm x .8mm = a volume of 6.4

Now, to make the same size bead with say the thinnest wire (.1mm) I would have to find the area of the .1mm wire. (.05mm² x π = .785)

.785mm • x = 6.4 Therefore x = 8.15mm

It's nigh impossible to follow someone elses math (pair that with the fact that I flunked it in high school) but it seems that I could use snips of .1mm wire that are 8.15mm long (and therefor much easier and more accurate to measure out).

Of course this was just for fun... the bead sizes can vary quite a bit and still be appropriate. I easily had 50% variance in my piece lengths when I was sniping them with scissors.

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
beautiful andy... the good thing about working w 24k gold is that it does whatever you tell it too. luv it....

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A
That Roman/Etruscan work is called 'granulation'. The spheres are arranged in your design on the jewelry with mastic, then fused under high heat in a furnace. No solder.

Tom, am I correct in my understanding that in the granulation technique, the mix of 'glue' used to place and hold the bead will, upon heating, 'contaminate the silver bead surface with copper(?) such that when heated further, the now alloyed surface of the bead will have a lower melting point than the bead interior, hence melt and fuse, without solder, to the base of the jewelry piece? If so, then this is an incredible process which was used masterfully 2500 years ago with no formal knowledge of what we now call chemistry. However, trial and error led earlier ages to good results, without what we now call the 'scientific method'?

Rod

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well that is the first time I have ever seen a "mathematical" equation applied the volume of gold needed to complete an inlay.With the price of gold,we now know how to "stretch a penny".

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Andy, this is something new as far as inlay goes and I applaud your ingenuity. While it does seem like a lot of work, I can't argue with the end result which is beautiful, and that's what counts. I'll add this to the Tips Archive, and thank you for taking the time to make the illustration for us.

~Sam

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
well done, Andy! and your illustrated tutorial was excellent. there probably is/are some specialized applications where this may become a preferred method- not just when you're short on more suitable wire or sheet. it's obviously more time-consuming, but i'm sure you or somebody will come up with a situation where it's just the trick. i'd be hesitant to use this technique if there was going to be lines engraved in the inlay- too many joints & potential for flaking, but for plain polished areas it looks pretty slick...

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone... I'm glad it was enjoyed and hope it can be of some use to someone!

Here is a previous project I used this technique on... The prospectors bag, hat, tooth, and sleeve patch were done this way. His "bindle stick" is two strips of fine silver and a fine silver "bead" on the tip of the stick near the bag was the perfect shape/situation where this could be used. (outside gold border is wire).

Attachments

• 115e.jpg
    115e.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Rod - Wow, that actually sounds really useful. I have this solderite board that I took a domed dapping punch and reamed little cavity's in. I put the little piece in the cavity and apply the heat until they ball up perfect on their own. The only problem is... when they ball up they want to jump (violently) out of the cavity. I suspect that they make the transition from solid to molten so fast that the metal somehow flings itself. Sometimes they stay put, something they fly into another cavity and combine with another piece (doubling the mass).

I have to look into "Etruscan bead work"... sounds interesting.

The problem you have with the jumping is because the surface you are heating them on, it not getting hot enough, fast enough. Try heating up the surface you are melting them on before you form the balls. This will help stop them from jumping.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Andy,

Thanks for a great tutor.

When you are balling up the gold/silver as I understand it you are putting it in a steel dop and not a soldering board?

If you are melting it into the steel dop the dop has to be heated up so it doen't "bump" out of the little hole as you discribe.

Bumping is seen when there is a large difference in temperature of one substance to the other in liquid to solid states.

Yes it is a scientific term. Try heating up your form first.

AirAmp

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
There is something about copper, but I've never done granulation. I am amazed at the fine granulation on antique pieces, I can barely see the beads, they look more like frost.

Anyway, I digress. I think Andy's process is really inventive. It's one of those things that 'sticks' in my mind to be pulled out for use sometimes years later.

Latest posts

Sponsors