Question: USMC K-Bar

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
My stepson just got back from his second deployment on Christmas Day. He is well and I give thanks that he and all his company returned safely, they only had a few minor casulties.

He is getting married in April and is going to give each of his groomsmen (all Marines) a K-Bar and wants me to engrave their names on the knife blade. I know these will be hard to cut, my question is can they be cut. Any suggestions before he buys the knives.

Thanks in advance

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There are some fearless engravers out there that might try it. Me, I wouldn't attempt it. There's no way I can do my best work on something that miserably hard.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would suspect that since the K-bars are mass produced they are not differentially heat treated. That whole blade I probably somewhere between 59 and 62 rockwell. Even with carbide that's not a task I beleive your going to be successful at. That blade is just going to be too hard.

BTW, Tell your son and his buddies that I said thanks for taking up arms to serve our country. We can never tell those young men enough how much they are appreciated.

Ray

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I figured that was going to be the case. I appreciate the help. I had already told him that I thought they would be to hard to engrave but I thought I would ask.

We are very proud of Jeremy and all our service men and women. He asked me if it would be alright if all his groomsmen could stay at my house which is in Alabama for the wedding. I told him I could think of no greater honor than to share my home with a group of Marines.

We will come up with another idea.

Thanks again

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bama,Theres got to be someone that could etch the names of your sons groomsmen's names on the K-bars.Some knife companys supply this service. J.J.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thats true they could be acid etched. Hardness won't have much of an effect on that process.

Ray

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It can probably be done using a diamond drag point on various machine engraving setups. I've engraved some pretty hard metals with my machines.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Bama, Contact my old friend Leonard Leibowitz knife blade etcher 1025 Murryhil Ave. Pittsburgh, Pa.15217.Lenny is one of the best etcher of knife blades,sorry I could'nt find a phone number. J.J.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Jim,
It's worth a try to contact the company on the subject, maybe they would work with you on the project. Best wishes to your son on this special occasion. Thanks to all service men and women.
Hope to see you at the CLA show again this year.
Mark

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Bama: Use AN Ultra Highspeed Handpiece, A Diamond Or Carbide Burr. If Your Carefull You Can Grind Their Names Into The Blade, And Make It Look Presentable.

smitty

Take a look at Ken Brown's web site he engraves just about anything with a high speed hand piece. His calligraphy is beautiful.

cloutier

I have a friend who has a laser engraving machine, Its not hand engraving but he can put any vector file on almost anything flat or any small cylinder. We swap work because his machine is limited.....and so is my hand work LOL...just a suggestion the laser doesn't care how hard the metal is......pass on my THANKS as well,my brother in-law is currently on 6 month deployment were counting the weeks until his return.

Ronald Cloutier

monk

Staff member
i wouldn't bother even trying. i have successfully laser engraved many of these with names, dates, & naturally-- the globe & anchor. if there's a laser engraver in your area, they'd likely be willing to do them for you. my laser is a 30 watt, and did them nicely. understand, the operator doing this work will have to create a "cavity" to hold the knife in place. yer gonna probably pay a toasty price for the work.
another option i forgot-- diamond drag on a pantograph. should work very well too. the diamond point can do some fine lines, but then again-- limited font selection and the anchor/globe- not many have that logo. i simply cut my own templates for my panto.

Last edited:
There are low temp solders available that would allow Fred's idea to be workable. Also, what are the guard and pommel made of ? Could something be done there? Bama, be sure to pass on our thanks to the guys for their service. Mike

Ishokenmei

BAMA, When I left the Marines back in 96, my platoon gave me a K-Bar that had the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor engraved on it along with my MOS code 8541, which was on the blood groove. It can be done. Sadly.....my house was broke into down near St. Louis and the thieves ran off with the knife. Maybe, one day it will get replaced. ;)

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,

While the blade would be too hard, I would expect that the steel butt cap would only be iron or mild steel. There is enough room there for a name.

Cheers,

Roger

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Unless they have changed them,the ones i had as a kid,the blades would bend.

I would think its cuttable ,if the blade holds a bend,its not at full hardness.

Also,check the blade with a fine file,to see how hard it is.

If its fileable,i would think you can cut it.
If file slides like glass,don't try it.

mike

monk

Staff member
roger: never tried that. i've only done the blades. the ones i did, i'd consider them unsuitable for anyone but the brave or foolish as far as handwork.

Latest posts

Sponsors