Question: Wacom Bamboo Tablet

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I am thinking about ordering the Wacom Bamboo Tablet for doing the drawing on my computer since I do graphics also. Would anyone have any tips on this pen?

Are there better ones out there, and if so what brand do I look under?
Thanks in advance for any information.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carl, yes there are better ones than the bamboo, but I also use a cheap Wacom tablet, 40 euro, and works great for almost 7 years now.

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The Wacom Intuos is probably the standard of the industry. The Bamboo is more of an entry level system.

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
I did a quick search and found this http://www.vistablet.net/ I don't know how they compare with the Wacom Bamboo but there is a guy on the bay that has the 12" ones for under $90 here http://cgi.ebay.com/VisTablet-Original-12-Inch-Never-Opened_W0QQitemZ190344389891QQcategoryZ3680QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D20%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8419595338778822780 I have no affiliation with him but I may order one unless someone has had some bad experiences with this brand of pad???, the size seems larger than the Bamboo.

Kevin

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also just got a Bamboo Pen tablet - $75 and it's working good so far!

Took me a bit to figure out how to get it work right under Inkscape (the trick turned out to be pulling up Inkscapes extended input device dialog and making sure the tablet's loaded right. Sometimes I have to disable / re-enable it).

I'm still not very good with it but I'm getting better quickly.

As the others have said, there are many tablets that are much better - the Bamboo is an entry level tablet. But it's inexpensive, works well, is very standard, and if you find you like using a tablet and are good with it you'll have a better idea of what to get when you get the 'real' one.

Jbardon

I went with the intuos wacom tablet instead of the bamboo because of the pen sensitivity and larger size options. I have really liked mine so far though there is a definite learning curve as you are not looking in the same place as you are drawing. The cintiq is like drawing on a monitor but is very pricey. Either way i would try to use one before you bought it, best buy opened one up for me and let me play around in paint for a while before i bought mine.
Good Luck
Jason

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
When buying a tablet, get the highest amount of pressure sensitivity you can afford. Some are only 512 and the advanced models have 2048. If you do sophisticated drawing or painting, more is definitely better.

BES

Elite Cafe Member
Wacom Intuos4

Greetings Carl!
Company Wacom is the real leader in the field of manufacture of tablets! I am engaged in design in polygraphy and the large-format outdoor advertising. My choice has been made 2 years ago and I have bought WACOM Intuos3 A4 Oversize DTP is a professional model, for my work! Works ideally, all tools in Adobe Photoshop with a tablet work much more softly, the retouch of photos is amazing! A unique lack – the big dimensions! When you finish work you think where it to put, that did not disturb!

6b3142c731d9a9fbc17af880e32ac0c0.jpg

As you do not need to retouch images for a board of a lengthy van, with fine details, I consider that model Wacom Intuos4 A5 M will be ideally suited for you (medium)!

wacom_intuos4_1-480x431.jpg ?????? ?????? 1-1-1.jpg

It is a professional large-format graphic tablet. Model 2009. Working area of format A5 (223 x 139 mm).
2048 levels of sensitivity. A feather sensitive to an inclination (+ / - 60 degrees). The working area in a format 16:10 is coincides with the sizes of wide-screen flat monitors!
And the price corresponds to quality of $369!
Here the reference to a company site – http://www.wacom.com/intuos/medium.php

Successful to you of Purchase!
BES Eric S. Brezhitsky