Wasn't sure where to introduce myself (new member)...lots of progress pics

WValtakis2

When I was a kid back in the 90's I took engraving courses at Lassen Community College in Susanville, CA (taught by John Baraclough)...somehow life got in the way and I never really got a chance to dive into engraving like I dreamed. Fast forward twenty years and I came across a full Airgraver setup for a good price and I jumped on it. If it's ok, here's a link to a thread I started on Bladeforums when my equipment arrived a few weeks ago with my scratching so far: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/so-i-bought-an-airgraver.1643738/

I look forward to digging through the forums here, I've already seen some recent posts by John Baraclough which made me grin...I like to think I read them in his voice:).

~Wilfred "Chip" Valtakis II

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Always fun to hear news from an ex-student.
Good to have you back in the engraving family, Chip.
And to see you active on the Cafe Forum.
Hope you enjoy your new tool acquisitions and post some pics of your work soon.

WValtakis2

Hi John! That summer break at 15 taking your courses was definitely the most fun I ever had at summer school;)

Here's a few pics... I've been doing practice plates but I can't help myself not to engrave random personal items too, lol.

~Chip

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks for posting the good pictures of your work Chip.
I remember you were a youngster of 15 when you took the engraving classes and we had to get special permission for you to be able to take the college classes.
You did a good job for someone just getting back to engraving after 20 years absence.
I see on the knife forum you discussed adding some shading and I think shading and background removal would help, especially on the Celtic knife design.
Very nice job on your monogram. Your rose would benefit from some shading IMO.
Best wishes and keep going.

I

Last edited:

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
Its clear that those lessons from John B. really stayed with you . The drawing is really well done. Hard to do those celtic knots well, a little less precision and the whole design falls apart. The engraving looks great.

The only suggestion I have is to go back and make sure all your lines are complete. There are a few places where the lines fall short of the next crossing point. I would also go back and recut the lines going the other way. That changes the lines starting point which looks narrower than the end into a more uniform looking cut. Its a good idea to get into the habit of doing these small things now.

You made a fender washer look pretty darn good.

Allan

WValtakis2

Thanks Allan, this is just a progress pic...far from finished. As you say, clean up and recut then start carving out the background;)

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Well done Chip. look forward to seeing it relieved and shaded.
Great practice piece and a nice, inexpensive display or decorative item.
Would also make a good necklace for a guy, hung on a leather bootlace.

WValtakis2

Thanks John, but I like the color from the coating on these...and I can just cold blue the background, lol;) Take two...

WValtakis2

Not your typical fare, but I'm getting some practice in at work...cutting valve ID tags to replace missing ones around the plant:)

Latest posts

Sponsors