Wasn't sure where to introduce myself (new member)...lots of progress pics

WValtakis2

One for the wife with her initials...

~Chip

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Well done, Chip.
Good work and a great gift. I'm sure your wife will wear it with pride.
When you get a chance you might enjoy studying " Art Monograms & Lettering" by
J. M. & V.C Bergling. Gem City Press, ISBN-0-910222-02-9.
You will enjoy seeing their shading of " Graceful Leaf Alphabet" on page 100.

WValtakis2

Started doing some knotwork on an A.G. Russell Funny Folder last night
. The titanium actually cuts pretty nicely, and I'm looking forward to playing around with the anodizing:D

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
Ok that is pretty dang nifty, I've never seen selective anodizing and that's certainly sharp. Well done, I agree a write up on your process would be well received.

WValtakis2

Thanks guys, I didn't realize the process was so foreign over here. I've been doing selective anodizing for years, here's a link to a thread with a ton of pics by me:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/custom-titanium-anodizing.770502/

The basics are simple, using something as a resist to keep the electrolyte away from areas you don't want to anodize...anything from waterproof tape to enamel will work. On this piece I first masked the silver knot with nail polish then dipped at 12 volts for bronze, masked the second knot then dipped at 26 volts for blue.:)

RA40

Anodizing will wear at the edges or places of constant contact. It is a very thin layer although I am not aware of how thick the anodized layer is. Anodizing is pretty easy to remove with a 600-1000 grit abrasive for a redo when I've messed up.

I've flame colored timascus and surprisingly that has held up to pocket carry with minimal signs of wear.
mf-knife-April 28, 2006-0077.jpg

WValtakis2

Yeah, the oxide layer from heat coloring is WAY thicker, but you're limited to the low range bronze/purple/blue for the most part.

bpeak82

This is super cool. Just joined the forum... been reading a ton of the threads... and your work really stands out to me. I'm a huge fan of knotwork and have done a few with rotary. Just now dipping my toe in the pool of air assisted scrollwork. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Really cool!