Wasn't sure where to introduce myself (new member)...lots of progress pics

Thanks guys, I didn't realize the process was so foreign over here. I've been doing selective anodizing for years, here's a link to a thread with a ton of pics by me:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/custom-titanium-anodizing.770502/

The basics are simple, using something as a resist to keep the electrolyte away from areas you don't want to anodize...anything from waterproof tape to enamel will work. On this piece I first masked the silver knot with nail polish then dipped at 12 volts for bronze, masked the second knot then dipped at 26 volts for blue.:)
Is all them patterns from anodizing? If so I never knew you could do that with anodizing. Can you do that with stainless steel and other metals or is it just specific to titanium? I appreciate any info.

WValtakis2

Is all them patterns from anodizing? If so I never knew you could do that with anodizing. Can you do that with stainless steel and other metals or is it just specific to titanium? I appreciate any info.
Yup, everything in the linked thread is anodized titanium.

You can't anodize stainless steel, only reactive metals like titanium, niobium, etc.

WValtakis2

Current engraving project...one I'm not exactly happy to be doing, but happy to be able to do. Memorial plaque for family, it will be mounted on a boulder by the lake (Eagle Lake) they always fished. 1/8" 304 stainless, 6"x8".

WValtakis2

I was given this Strider SMF clone, and while I don't condone clones it's certainly a lot of practice real estate in titanium ;)

IMG_20191113_034521_052.jpg IMG_20191113_034521_054.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
See you're keeping busy with engraving and knife work, Chip.
Good work, keep it coming. Your pictures are great.
And I have fished a lot at Eagle Lake too, the one near the Oregon border.

WValtakis2

See you're keeping busy with engraving and knife work, Chip.
Good work, keep it coming. Your pictures are great.
And I have fished a lot at Eagle Lake too, the one near the Oregon border.
Thanks John! That's the Eagle Lake, we actually went up to Susanville a couple weeks ago...visited my my mom and mounted the plaque on a nice boulder facing the lake:thumbsup:

WValtakis2

Did some anodizing today on the Stryduhr, the textured background is a dark blue to simulate the "blacking out" that engraving traditionally gets, with bronze on bare titanium for the rest.

Screenshot_20191118-144104_Photos~2.jpg

WValtakis2

Another A.G. Russell titanium Funny Folder...this time the titanium was blackened before stripping the high points and selectively anodizing. No lacquer was used to black out the background:cool:

~Chip

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
[QUOTE="WValtakis2, post: 226020, member: 14816 (Quote")Thanks John, I rigged up a makeshift light tent for those shots:)

Well it sure worked, Skip.