watching tv

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i don't watch it much, but glad i did this time. "how it's made" was on. it showed how a trombone was made by hand. just in time- as i have a trumpet to engrave for a guy. i'm glad i watched this show. you all may not be aware, but such instruments are made literally from nearly paper-thin brass sheet. if you ever have to engrave a trumpet, trombone, saxophone or the like, the stuff has to be done ever so gently and the inside should be backed up with modeling clay in a plastic bag or something. the metal is far thinner than you think !

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There was a thread a while back where engraved instruments came up. Someone posted a link to a site showing them.

I remember the key thing was that they are best engraved using a Western style wiggle cut - partly because they're so thin and partly because they're big enough that you need a really wide line for it to show.

We watch a lot of Discovery Channel as well. :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ive seen the video. i think the wiggle cuts would cause little problem. other than possibly causing a crushing type dent. the real problem would arise if one were to cut with normal gravers. this, i fear, would produce catastrophe, unless done in very delicate fashion.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

This is me engraving on the trumpet used to start the Kentucky Derby each year. A bit old this pic, its one I developed in black and white. lets see I was probably 23 or 24 in this picture. would have been about 1987 or 88 that I did this. Do kids even know what B&W pics are anymore? gosh I feel old.

this is a real look back in time for me, I was using hammer and chisel and burins only back then, look at the old DG3 sharpening fixture, the Crown solvent for making transfers and the original Meiji EMZ scope. I have'nt seen one of those in years.

But I digress from the thread subject. Monk is right, the metal is very thin and must be supported. Since I was working for the maker of the trumpet, I had the forming mandrels to use when I was engraving the bell. These were made out of steel, and bolted them to my vise jaws. On this Derby trumpet I did the Churchill Downs logo and some dates, but was careful cut very shallow the whole time. You can do wiggle work, but i would only want to do it with the mandrel installed lest you push too hard on a corner somewhere.

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Abby, in the overall scheme of engravers, I'm really just a pup. I'm only 43. I was working as a full time engraver at a high level at a young age because of influence and mentoring from Sam, Ron and Frank Hendricks. But yet I see of these guys like Andy and Jaques and how quick they have achieved excellant quality and I think man, I am a Neadantal. oh well such as life.

Latest posts

Sponsors