Help, please: welding/welder advise.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Ray I am not a welder but I have had some gun work done by guys that weld for a living and I agree with you 100% that you can explain to them in great detail what you want done but what you get back may not be what you wanted. I had a custom barrel that I was converting from a caplock to flintlock so I wanted the tapped hole for the drum welded up so I could drill a 1/16" touch hole. He did a great job welding up the barrel, it was the side grinder that he used to clean the weld up that ruined the barrel. Now I have to cut the barrel off and have the breach re-tapped because he dished the barrel so badly with the grinder.

Again I am not a welder and not knocking those that do welding for a living. I have much respect for them I just know how hard it is to get the point accross sometimes.

Ray I have seen your engraving, you are a true artist. I have no doubt if you want to learn to weld that you will put forth the effort to do the job correctly and with skill.

Good luck

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
" Don't automatically discount oxy-acetylene. Precision work can be done with this tool."

I don't know precisely what you plan on doing with a torch; but you might check out torches that jewelers use like a Meco; mine is oxy-acetylene. You can do very precise things with it as well as some larger things like melting metal. Just a thought.
Kevin