Western bright cut macro zoom detailed

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a buckle I finished not too long ago. I had not done a final rouge polish
before I took the picture of this buckle. I was in a hurry to ship it out, and took
the picture on my engraving bench.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stunning cutting on that buckle Greg. One can't help but notice how cleanly and precisely cut it is.

Thanks for posting it,
Peter

webad2006

Just amazing!.... Your cuts are so clean, even, and well thought out. Makes me sick when I look at my cuts. Wish I lived closer, might have to hang out in your shop for awhile so I could learn something.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow that's a closeup I can see the grain structure:) Nice smooth cutting and layout. Is the buckel for The Jesus?:)

jack

I know you have probably given this information before to us and I probably missed it. Could you give me the angles of your graver and how you polish it for bright cutting. Great work, and I always look forward to your posts. Jack

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I see work like that I sometimes wonder why I even bother trying to do bright cut. That's about as bright as it gets! Great job.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Greg, Thats a good study of bright cutting. One thing I noticed is that you don't crosshatch every leaf. Is there any theory behind that? Brian

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Greg,
Once again, just incredible work. My question is, how the heck do you get such good pictures of bright cut silver? I get along alright with my pictures if the piece has been antiqued, but I have yet to take a good picture of a piece that's bright. Have you got any tips?

Stewart

grizz

Greg,

Your engraving is without a dought what bright cutting is suposed to look like. Three demensional with great flow pattern. Over 37 years, I have cut alot of it and seen alot of it. As I told you the other evening, your work is impecable!

Grizz

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
WOW!!! That is sooo perfect. You set the standards high. Thank you so much for showing.
gailm

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's obvious that Greg has superb graver control. I tell my students that, artistry aside, control is everything. There's no way anyone can execute a job like this without his or her gravers being an extension of their hand. I especially like the nice curl at the end of many of the bright cuts. Bravo, Greg!

Darren

Elite Cafe Member
Nice Buckle Greg, and some great pictures. I have trouble getting good pictures
of my bright cutting. You doing anything special for your picture taking?

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your generous compliments, I appreciate it very much!

jack~ here is the previous post: I use a #46 flat mascot high speed steel graver to do my bright cutting. As far as the degrees, I have no idea. I only have a crocker sharpening fixture and I judge the angle by eye. I then give it a go on scrap metal and if it cuts good, I am good to go. If not, I then fine tune it a little until it does feel good cutting. I polish the heel continually by lightly stroking it on a piece of 4/0 emery paper. Sorry I can't give you precise angles, I am a little embarassed living in the dark ages. However here is a picture of my bright cut tool. Hopefully you can judge the angles for your self.

Brian~ One of my mentors (Hratch Nargizian) once told me that in real life some leaves are shaded from the light and others are not. It just stuck with me over the years. On occaision I have cross hatched every leaf and to me it just starts to dominate the engraving a little too much.

Stewart & Darren~ This picture was taken on my engraving bench. It sits next to a window that has a south east exposure. This picture was taken about 3:00 in the afternoon. So there was subdued sunlight along with the flourescent lighting directly above my bench. I just got this new camera made by Fuji that takes these incredible close up pictures.

Sam~ When I have taught others, I have expounded the exact same thing. The graver is an extension of the hand.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sometimes it's best to shutup after having said absolutely fabulous ! and before i forget, it's apparent that you have set a standard here. i don't think too many are soon going to meet !