What/Where/When 2010 Engrave-In June 6-8

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Attention All Ye Engraving Fans, Be ye Beginners, Masters, Patrons, Journeymen, Authors or Wives, Spouses and SOs of the Preceeding

The 2010 Engrave-In is June 6-8. Sunday afternoon after the Blade Show finishes up, everyone will gather up here. Here is our personal Eden on the mountain near Monteagle, Tennessee.

Spouses and or significant others are also welcome. Kids, dogs and horses are also welcome. If you don’t have a dog or a horse we will loan you one. I expect we will have engraving systems from GRS, Ngraver, and Lindsay set up for people to try. I will have some of my engraved items that I have collected from around the world on display for discussion as well as scroll samples from various art forms. We will have smoked dinner on the grounds for lunch on Monday and that’s worth coming for believe me. If you want to bring something to eat that’s fine, or just bring yourself that’s fine too.
Sunday evening we will have a bonfire complete with pickin’ and grinnin’. Supper will also be served in between gabbing and singing. Kids and the young at heart can cook hotdogs and s’mores over the fire, while we will enjoy shrimp, salads and other assorted fixin’s for the those not wanting to get quite so smoky.

Monday the 7th we will get started with Seminars. I’m still need to firm up some things but looks like lettering and monograms, sculpture, and getting started info will be the topics

An interactive seminar at Ray Cover’s suggestion will be, “My Favorite Tool” We all have a favorite tool, mostly something we have made or modified that just “does it” for us. I have one that I use for sketching, dotting, gold cleanup and other general things. When it decides to go hide somewhere in the far recesses of my bench or shop floor, I’m casting about everywhere till its back where it belongs. So I am asking all the working engravers to bring their favorite tool and plan on giving a 3 or 4 minute talk about what you do with it and be prepared to answer questions about it.

Somewhere along in here, we will enjoy Jim Hall’s great smoked meat and fixins. Jim is a heck of a craftsman, a fine cook and an aspiring engraver. Many of you met him last year. The final fabulous seminar of the day is still hidden behind door Number Three. I have several possible things in the works. We just have to see what falls together as we get a little closer.

Of course, there will lots of unstructured time to mingle, ask questions and try techniques. BRING YOUR STUFF, bring your tools, bring your work, bring your questions… BRING YOUR BENCH if you want . I would love to have 3 or 4 benches set up besides mine and Ray’s . This is an Engrave-In…. so bring your stuff to engrave if you can.

pics from last year are here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=106802&id=620703410&l=a5a59ce66b

Some beautiful views here as well, a 10 minute walk will bring you the bluffs on our property, where you can see some 70 mile vistas. We have a newly dug pond that we can offer some fishing or swimming in for those inclined. Another bonus, if you want to try a world class airgun or two, we can let you give that a whirl as well.

For the wives in attendance, maybe Rhonda will consider new applicants for WOSEM, Wives Of Self-Employed Men, a club she formed some years ago when three of us guys, a wood carver, a knifemaker and myself, all went into the backyard to work everyday while the wives all drove an hour to work each day. Of course, Rhonda has long since joined the self-employed category, but believe me she still has much to say in this regard, especially on the male side….

Now I do need folks to start RSVPing to my e-mail, my first name at pilkguns dot com or you can PM off the Engraver’s Café.

Campers, both tents and motorhomes are welcome to stay at our place.

Here’s a start of list of people I know are coming this year
Kurt Horvath who is bringing his belt-fed machine gun for those so inclined
Amayak Stepanyan
Paul & Gloria Hamler
Jerry and Joan Seymour
Jim and Sandra Hall
Catherine “Cloudy” Kennedy
Katherine Plummer
Vilts and his father from Estonia
Simon Lytton
Mike Dubber
CJ Allen

Roger and Kathi Bleile
Carl Bleile
Ian Morrison
KCSteve and his ever-indulgent wife Winnie
Fred Marinnan
Carl Wallace
Joe Mason
Tex Skow
Don Cowles
JOSIAH HANLEY
JAMEY WILCOX
Mark Simpson
Nathan Dickenson
Kim Cover
Dave London
Gordon Mayhew
Mike Voores
Les Holmes
Tim Herman
Peter Elovich
Doug Sutherland ( The famous Gourd Engraver)
Mark Malvin
Jim Brandvik
Chris Malouf
Kevin Riley
Jerry Spaulding
David Broadwell
Tim Adlam
me2cyclops
Tom Little
Van knife and wife
Tim Welles
Donald Tusher
Eric and Terry
Mary Whittle
Bill Moody
Michael
CJ Tate
Loyd Mcconnell
John and Ginger Hise

DONATIONS/AUCTION ITEMS
Ray Cover class (either a normal week or one day of personal tutoring)
Fred Marrinan centering fixture
Lindsay Palm Control (see other thread)
Knife made by Chris B from South Africa
Vilts engraved item... or is it a free week in Estonia?
Nickel coin blanks about the size of silver dollar from Murray Buckner
Don Cowles knife

VOLUNTEERS,
Yes we will accept slave labor for those that want come on Saturday or Sunday early. We may need weedeating, brush moving, sign posting, sign painting, tent erection, or ????? I need to know you are coming, and what your work limitations are and we will try to make sure you are put to good use and fed something nutritious.
Cloudy-Saturday
Fred Marrinan-Sunday

HOTELS all are roughly the same distance away
American Eagle, many people stay here 931) 924-8880 . If you come spend Saturday night there is a huge flea market across the stree from here on Sunday morning
Days Inn 931) 924-2900
Regency Inn, the lowest rates (931) 924-2221
Smokehouse Best Western (931) 924-2268

Do you have GPS coordinates

To the center of his roof:
35"15'47.16N
85"47'53.36W

Campgrounds
Smokehouse (931) 924-2268
Laurel Trails(931) 588-2584

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
this posting from Kurt Horvath

Last year Cannons this year Machine Guns. YEAH!!!

Here is a chance to shoot the best built belt feed machine gun in history.

All modern designs used this gun as a model. As you can see it's 99% machined, very few stampings.

BATF Class 3 registered C&R tax stamp full automatic.

There are no legal issues to worry about. Fully documented and legal. So please no discussions on that matter.

Anyone interested is shooting this MG-34 should post a PM to me or Scott.

It shoots 900 rounds a min. at .38 cents a round my cost, that equals
$342.00 a min to shoot that's not cheep shooting, But it's a lot of fun!!!

Scott will announce the time and place for this activity.

Full assistance will be required to shoot this gun.

Range Master has the last word on ALL issues!!!

50 Rounds @ $35.00 You Load the belts.

100 Rounds @ $60.00 You load the belts

50 Rounds pre loaded belts @ $50.00

100 Rounds pre loaded belts @ $80.00

All money collected will be donated to the Engrave-IN

Also were going to have a Splatter Board. What's a Splatter Board????

It's a 40" diameter circle divided into 40 sections. Each section is a chance to win 100 rounds on a pre loaded belt to shoot for the winner.

Each section will require a $5.00 donation.

Once all sections are spoken for we will use a shotgun to shoot the Splatter Board. Whom ever has the most hits in their section wins!!!!

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott,

It looks like my crew this year will consist of:

Myself
Mark Simpson
Nathan Dickenson
Kim Cover

We are planning to camp again this year. Hopefully somewhere away from the hen house :big grin:

We also are planning to drive back from the Blade Show Saturday evening so we will be there early Sun to help.

Ray

Last edited:

ARM

Elite Cafe Member
SCOTT PILKINGTON ESQ
How far exactly is the Engrave-In venue from the Blade Show ???
OK. Tennessee is another State. Any good hotels, lodges near by ???
Or do we prepare camp ???
We would like to make it, next year LORD WILLING, if U guys will have us.
Kindest regards
arm

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How far exactly is the Engrave-In venue from the Blade Show ???
about a 2.5 hour drive by car
OK. Tennessee is another State. Any good hotels, lodges near by ???
Smokehouse Best Western, American Eagle, Days Inn, Budget host all about 5 minutes away

Or do we prepare camp ???
many people do that

We would like to make it, next year LORD WILLING, if U guys will have us.
We would be pleased to finally meet you!

h

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Mr Pilkington;
The timing isn't exactly great on my trip to Hillsboro Tenn for my wifes family reunion on May 1. So close but so far. Maybe I can convience them to hold it later next year.
Will look forward to more pictures so I can see all the fun I missed.
Hoot

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glad this thread popped up again - reminded me to call and make my hotel reservations for the Engrave-In.

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Scott, Won't be able to Make It, But My Friend will be at the Blade Show, I Will send the Folder With Him, Table B14 I Think He Said. Could Some-one please pick it up from him.

All The Best.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I plan on attending the Engrave-In again this year Scott. I hope you are not getting the floods that are going on around Nashville! Some places near 20" inches of rain!

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,

I will be at the blade show Friday and Saturday. I can pick the knife up and take it to Scott's Saturday evening.

Ray

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Scott posted a map to the engrave-in if anyone knows where it's located and post it here and on Lindsay's...
Been ask by some new people for directions...
Found the map next post...
Jerry

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors