Which sharpening template?

Kim L.

Hi... I'm a beginner and have just one 90 degree graver. Can anyone tell me which template I should get for sharpening and where to purchase it? Thanks

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am not a big believer in templates. They are OK for beginners I guess but A person is much better off to get a quick change duel angle sharpening fixture from GRS to begin with. As you progress you will end up spending a lot more money for templates for the many different geometries you will want. The Geometries possible with the GRS fixtrue are unlimited. If you are going to be a pro you will wish you had a GRS system at some point. I don't work for GRS. I made a lot of mistakes buying the wrong equipment in the beginning. In my opinion there is no better equipment then GRS. I have never regretted anything I bought from them.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the geometry of choice depends on what material you're using. how hard/soft ?? and what sort of cutting result you're looking to achieve. what method-- h&c, push work, or air assist. lots of variables from which to choose. tell us more about your goal. better answers will come.since you're a noob, don't forget pencils and paper. the last two are just as important as the other tools. welcome to the mad house, and good luck !

Kim L.

Thank you. I have a graver max g8. Only have one 90 degree graver for right now. Looking to eventually embellish my jewelry making (cuff bracelets) as well as small items such as zippo lighters with scroll work and lettering. I'm a former sign painter so I'm pretty comfortable with drawing lettering. Scrolls are certainly their own animal! Thank you

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I engraved for 25 years with a 90° graver. I now use a 120° for most things, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a common square graver your entire career. And there's nothing wrong with a 105, 116, or 133.92724°. Use what works best for you.

I will second what Jerry said above. If you're using GRS handpieces, a single Apex adjustable fixture can produce nearly any graver geometry you desire. The Dual Angle classic fixture can as well, but the Apex is best suited for gravers mounted in QC holders.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
I have both sharpening systems and use both extensively. They are both flat out can't live without them. But to start with get the dual axis from GRS. It will give you any angle you need. Plus if you have to use liner gravers or c-max gravers the Lindsay won't help you. Lindsay templates only take square gravers.

And remember Andrew Biggs guide for making square tools. 180 minus the angle you want, divide the result in half and set your dual axis to that number. What an incredibly useful piece of help that was to a bonehead like me.

Allan

monk

Staff member
Thank you. I have a graver max g8. Only have one 90 degree graver for right now. Looking to eventually embellish my jewelry making (cuff bracelets) as well as small items such as zippo lighters with scroll work and lettering. I'm a former sign painter so I'm pretty comfortable with drawing lettering. Scrolls are certainly their own animal! Thank you
relax. 20 years from now, you'll likely have at least a hundred gravers, and a dozen geometries.

Kim L.

Bummer....I bought a lindsay template jig that came today, but it's takes a graver with a rectangle shaft and my graver has a round shaft so it won't fit.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Bummer....I bought a lindsay template jig that came today, but it's takes a graver with a rectangle shaft and my graver has a round shaft so it won't fit.
You can get a center piece and nut from Steve drilled for 1/8” round. It isn’t in the catalog but you can request the part be drilled 1/8” when you order it. I have one that I use for round gravers and to grind brass punches with the round template. I like my templates but they do have their limitations.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Kim, I don't know what size your round gravers are but you can grind a flat for indexing on your shank end. There are threads on this site that explain it.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
You can get a center piece and nut from Steve drilled for 1/8” round. It isn’t in the catalog but you can request the part be drilled 1/8” when you order it. I have one that I use for round gravers and to grind brass punches with the round template. I like my templates but they do have their limitations.
Never occurred to me to have that done. Just a great idea for some of the c-max parallel flat gravers I like.

Kim - send Steve an email or try and give him a call. He's pretty easy to deal with and may be able to help you out.

Kim L.

Never occurred to me to have that done. Just a great idea for some of the c-max parallel flat gravers I like.

Kim - send Steve an email or try and give him a call. He's pretty easy to deal with and may be able to help you out.
Thank you I'll try that.