Who is this Engraver Winchester Model 12 1930s

Silverlining

Recently I inherited this. I have spent hours online trying to figure it out any information about this Winchester model. It appears the engraving was not done in the Winchester factory and I am trying to figure out who it might be. I know this model 12 was made in Feb of 1929 but that is all the information I have. Does anyone recognize this work?

Attachments

• Winchester screen 1.jpg
    Winchester screen 1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 173
  • winchester screen 2.jpg
    winchester screen 2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Winchester screen 3.jpg
    Winchester screen 3.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
our duty historian would likely know. a better closeup of the engraving would help determining an answer.

Silverlining

Thank you how do I contact them? Defiantly I could take a better picture if needed.
I think the serial number indicates it was made in Feb 1929 to 1930
The number is 602041

gibraltar

Definitely NOT factory engraved. With Silver inlays and non-typical engraving pattern, not to mention the stock carving, this Winchester M12 was definitely not engraved by anyone at the Winchester factory.

Silverlining

With silver inlays I think the Winchester was engraved in Japan by a Japanese engraver. J.J.
Thank you for the replays I really appreciate everyone's perspectives.
That is really interesting that it might be Japanese, I wish I knew more of the history of this model. Was that common to have a Japanese engraver? How did that work did they engrave them in the US working in a American factory? It has the WP symbol.

Last edited:

Silverlining

Definitely NOT factory engraved. With Silver inlays and non-typical engraving pattern, not to mention the stock carving, this Winchester M12 was definitely not engraved by anyone at the Winchester factory.
I did look for initials but couldn't find anything other then the WP that was on the models at the time.
Its defiantly still a bit of a mystery, I have looked at hundreds of images of Winchesters but I haven't been able to find any similar stock engraving, do you think the stock engraver is the same as the barrel?

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I believe the gun was engraved in Japan for a GI never herd of any Japanese engraver working in any American gun company J.J.

Silverlining

Interesting for sure. Do you think the stock was the same engraver as the barrel? Also I was curious about the WP initials on it doesn't that mean it was made in the US? Did they ship them out to be engraved in those days?

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
How much engraving is on the barrel? the Japanese engravers liked to engrave about half the barrel on guns I've seen many of these guns come pass my table at the gun show. J.J.

gcmeleak

Recently my dad passed away. I inherited his collection. I have spent hours online trying to figure it out any information about this Winchester model. It appears the engraving was not done in the Winchester factory and I am trying to figure out who it might be. I know this model 12 was made in Feb of 1929 but that is all the information I have. Does anyone recognize this work?
are you sure that the inlays are silver and not white gold? Ithaca and many other manufactures often used white Gold.

Silverlining

are you sure that the inlays are silver and not white gold? Ithaca and many other manufactures often used white Gold.
Thank you for the response, I really appreciate that I am going to be adding a lot better photos soon, is there a way to tell if its white gold verses silver?

Silverlining

How much engraving is on the barrel? the Japanese engravers liked to engrave about half the barrel on guns I've seen many of these guns come pass my table at the gun show. J.J.
Thank you for the responce I added some better pictures of the barrel and everything. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions on this I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Silverlining

If you do some searching on here Roger explained a lot about the Japanese engravers. If I remember correctly there was a US company that employed Japanese engravers here.
Thank you that is really interesting that defiantly could be the case.
WP is Winchester Proof mark. If it is in an oval, it would be re barreled by Winchester or an approved gunsmith. A lot of guns were engraved in Japan post war. It looks like that even without the better photos, but they would help verify that.
I have attached some better pictures above this comment, do you think it still looks like it was engraved by some one in Japan?

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This one has me stumped. The carved stock and rather large silver inlays indicate Japan, but the scrollwork is not typical of Japanese engravers.

Latest posts

Sponsors