Question: Who is using a Graversmith

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know we can't discuss systems, but as I have seen some treads on system3 Gravermax an Gravermach etc, I never saw one tread about the Graversmith.

I know why GRS made these wonderful low budget machines but it seems I'm the only one using it, except for my son in law.

Indeed it is a low cost setup, but as long as I'm using it I never regret my choice.

Who else is using this, or used it. Pro and contras in your opinion are welcome

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've used them but I don't own one, Arnaud.

Pros: inexpensive, variable strokes per minute, small footprint, nice built-in rack to hold handpiece and gravers, can easily be adapted for Airtact use, economical power engraving option for factories outfitting a lot of benches.

Cons: Only one handpiece can be attached at a time, good regulator but not as good as the more expensive models, no built-in Airtact like the GraverMach AT,

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Sam, indeed no build in Airtact regulator, it can be purchased separately I think but I don't know what it does.

So it seems I'm the only one using this wonderful machine

arnaud

joshoshea

Hello.
My name is Josh O' Shea, Im a silversmith from Ireland, living in Austria. The guys at Rio Grande mentioned this forum to me and I must say im very happy to be here. Alot of engraving questions answered already!! thank you.

I was looking to buy the Lindsay Classic but unfortunetly its just out of my budget. Now ive found the GRS Graversmith but as arnaud has mentioned theres not a thread to be found regarding this machine. hmm strange our suspicious?? It sounds like the perfect machine for me to get started. my worry is that maybe its not up to scratch... more of a toy than a machine.

Arnaud: do you still love your graversmith? what do you recommend for a handpiece? the 901?

Thanks for your help on this one
best regards
josh

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
joshoshea:welcome to the forum. i would think if arnaud uses this machine, it must perform rather well. take a look at his work ! i've never used this particular machine, but do use a grs gravermeister, as well as other power assist equipment. i would have to think for those on a restricted budget, it would at least serve to speed up your work. after all, that's what this "power stuff" is all about anyway. i still sometimes do push work just for fun, but if you intend to earn money, power assist will let you earn it faster !

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud: do you still love your graversmith? what do you recommend for a handpiece? the 901?

Thanks for your help on this one
best regards
josh

Yes Joshoshea, still like my Graversmith in combination with the 901 hand piece.
I have upgraded the 901 with a V3 piston that works better on the shading.

arnaud

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If it had been available when my ever-indulgent wife set me up in June of 2007 I probably would have gotten it.

It strikes me as a perfect starter system - the only thing it's 'missing' is the outlet for a second handpiece and all that means that you have to unplug / plug a hose instead of turning a knob. And it's got the built-in tool holder.

Yes, the new AT has the AirTach built-in but for someone starting out and the price difference....

The GraverSmith would also be great for someone who's busy enough that having another graver ready at hand is worth the cost. Being lucky enough to have two systems there are times when it's been very handy to just pick up the other handpiece and move my foot to the other pedal to switch between gravers.

joshoshea

Wow, thanks to everyone for the good advice I think im sold on the idea.
Graversmith it is!!

With regards to graver sharpening I was thinking of buying the GRS Standard Graver Sharpening Fixture and using it with my upright disc sander from proxxon.(http://www.proxxon.com/eng/)
Currently I use the sander to level rings, collets etc. works great. has taken about ten minutes out of a ring with a stone.. ha! its all about time hey.

I had previously studied a little hand engraving in South India. Every time I would sharpen the graver my teacher (a very nice old man) would take a good look at it with his loupe, resharpen it and hand it back.. every time.
I must upload some pics of him. His workshop, family (and extended family) and the motorbike all lived in a tiny little room in the jewellery quarter of Misore.

talk soon
josh

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'll offer additional advice concerning sharpening. the grs holder is ok, but you will want to also seriously consider going with a diamond-based system if you can possibly afford it. the power sander you speak of i think has an rpm that is way too high to be effective for sharpening the delicate graver points. all else failing, the grs holding fixture can be used in conjunction with a variety of wet & dry grit papers for fine, and a good stone for the roughout. the holder is critical to maintain proper tool angles.

joshoshea

ya, I had a feeling that the power sander was a bit of a long shot!!
Will the grs holder be any good if I use it for sharpening by hand.
Obviously it will keep the angle required but will it easily move up and down next to the stone without some kind of rolling system. Or would you recommend a different holder for hand sharpening.
thans again guys,
josh

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Joshoshea, I think the Graversmith would be a good starter and beyond system for you if your on a budget, as stated before just look at what Arnaud, has done with his!!! As far as sharpening I wish I had kept the dual angle sharpener I had just to do some custom angles, but you might also look into Lindsay's sharpening temp-lets, there set up as a no brainier system and represent graver angles used by some of the top engravers in the world.

Good luck, and happy graving,
Kevin

Last edited: