Help, please: Why am I raising burs

doug

When I make my leaf cut it leaves a nasty bur on the outside of the cut,Im able to cut it off when I make my bright cut but then I get another bur when I make my cap cut.Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to go back and cut the bur off with another light cut.
Doug Lovedahl

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
whenever that happens in a bright cut, it means the heel is dragging.
That is, the side of the heel, behind the tip,or corner of the flat, where the cutting is being done.
This is usually do to the pitch of the tool is wrong in relation to the work.
The usual solution is to roll the tool over more to the outside. Rolling it over cuts away the part that is being made into a burr, and raises the heel out of the cut, solving two problems at once.
Or, it may mean your heel on the tool is too small, or more likely too large, as this adds to the problem.

Last edited:

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Burrs

Doug

Barry Lee is certainly correct in that part of your graver is dragging instead of cutting.

I know about burrs, I quit trying to learn Engraving 25 years ago because I could not overcome the Burr problem.

After I found the Engraving Forums (about 2 years ago) and learned to sharpen a graver properly I was able to get around the problem.

I am not a Bright Cut person so take what I tell you with a grain of salt, but I would bet the problem is more with your graver than your technique.

What type of graver are you using, what sharpening angles did you use.

When I have played with Bright cut I used the Lindsay Universal 116 degree V graver without a burr problem.

You can grind the same graver using the GRS Dual Angle Tool, as with the Lindsay system, it is just a little easier to duplicate the angles.

Check out this link. http://www.engravingschool.com/private/Lindsay Sharpener.htm

Ken

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken, since Doug mentioned a 'leaf' cut I take it that he's doing not just a bright cut, but a 'western bright cut' which requires a flat graver.
Kevin P.

doug

Kevin thanks for mentioning that I am doing western style.Using a 45 flat with a40 face and 20 belly.Steve 223 helped me with this a couple of weeks ago and got me doing better but the bur had me stumped.
Ken thanks for the vote of confidence I figured it had more to do with tool control than it did with the tool.Im hoping to get a dual angle sharpening system from GRS but its about 850$ or so and Im trying to build a new shop right now so money is a little tight right now.Im using a crockette patern sharpener and a small angle finder for now I know thats a shot in the dark but its all I got right now.
Barry I think Im following you as I think you mean I should make the cut with the tool in a more upright position.As for the lenght of heel Im gonna have to do some exsperimenting,not to mention gonna have to buy a few more 45 flats as Im about to grind this one down to nothing trying to figure this whole angle thing out.

Thanks for your help
Doug Lovedahl

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doug you should post a picture of your problem, most likely it would be solved by now. Barry hit all the possibilities. Sounds to me that you may be trying to hog out more metal than your graver grind can handle. Practice some right and left flair cuts some light ones and then go heavy you'll see when you start raising up the burs.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There are often problems which are difficult to have a simple cure for which can be attributed to graver control. The same tool in the hands of a more experienced engraver could very well produce the clean cuts you're striving for. This is just food for thought, and I can assure you that the quality of your cuts will improve with experience. Of course correct sharpening is paramount.

doug

Thanks to all for your help,thats whats so great agout the forum I can ask all kinds of questions and they may sound very elementary to an exsperienced engraver but I learn more than I counted on each time I ask.Ishould probably figure a lot of this on my own and Im sure I would in time but I guess Im impaitent about learning.Your all speeding up the learning curve for me and Im thankful to you all for that.As for posting pictures I am a little embarresed to do that after see the work most of you can do but thats not an excuse I know I just dont have a ditital camera and Im not sure I could get it to work on this computer anyway.I agree with every thing youve told me and yes Im trying to hog out to much metal I guess ive created a bad habit.Im gonna go work on that right now.
Thank you
Doug Lovedahl

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doug, I think everyone else here has rooted out your troubles.
If you ever get over to Eastern Ohio....give me a shout or stop by----bring your practice plates.
I'm near Steubenville.
Sometimes, I spend the weekend in Wilmington at the Ohio Gun Collectors' Association.

doug

Brian would you believe I live about 20 miles from wilmington and have never been to the gun show.Ill try to make the next one.
Doug Lovedahl

Latest posts

Sponsors