Why East to West?

Bob Bullard

Elite Cafe Member
I have seen on here where it was said to cut East to West is there a reason for this?
I have found that I can cut a straighter line when I cut South to North.
Is this something I should practice more on?
Thanks for the help
Bob

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bob, I don't know about east to west, but for right handers it is generally easier to cut anti clockwise, for lefties it is the opposite.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
whoa, there pal ! it depends what hemisphere you're in ! southern, or northern ?

chris

hi bob
by hammering steel in such directions can magnetize the end of your graver and you keep picking up chips
and it a pain in the you know possibly one reason for saying that
chris

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Being left handed definitely adds a bit of confusion when some directional techniques are described. I feel more natural cutting left to right or clockwise.

Funny you say that Chris. I had a problem with my gravers getting magnetized and eventually bought a demagnetizer to alleviate that problem.

Peter

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
In the hand of a right-handed engraver, the tool naturally points to the left (west, or slightly NW). Just the opposite for a left-handed engraver. If you're cutting from south-to-north, your wrist and forearm are in an awkwardly cramped position, and this is very poor form in my opinion. I don't believe this has been discussed much in the past, and I'd be interested in hearing opinions from other engravers and teachers.

I've done years of hammer & chisel engraving and have not had problems with the chisel becomming magnetized from east-west cutting. I hope that was a joke!

~Sam

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The position that feels most natural to me is about 30 -40 degrees off the position of my body.

With the graver in my right hand pointing 90 degrees away from me is awkward but so is holding the tool parallel to my body in a stirct right to left orientation.

Holding the graver about 30 -40 degrees pointing the upper left (NW direction as Sam put it) is what is most comfortable and most effective for me.

Ray

chris

hi sam
if your standing or sitting faceing east you would be cutting south or north weather you were left or right handed and if you were faceing north you would be cutting east or west and if faceing south you would be cutting west or east sound right i think it does
chris

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
That's why you should add a GPS to your bench. Push a button and you can start where left off last night.
Jim

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think we are talking about two different things here.

One group of us are talking about pointing magnetic north and magnetizing your gravers

Others are talking about how you hold your graver in relation to your body position. Thats what I understood the question to be.

To end the confusion, hold you graver pointing to 10:00

Ray

monk

Staff member
east/ west

you still gotta know what hemisphere you're in ! and don't forget the coriolis force which adds to or subtracts from the magnetic flux density. those of you who fail to take these forces into account, are doomed to chip stickies the balance of your life ! hellicopter pilots will tell you about the coriolis force. ask any licensed chopper pilot.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Some good points...pun intended!!!
To get serious, as a right hander, with push or power I prefer the graver to be cutting at about 2 on the clock.
I find having my head turned slightly to the right to be a comfortable position for me and helps me maintain an open shoulder position for easy arm and hand movement.
That would would be equal to about 10 on the clock for a lefty.
With H&C, in a fixed or ball vise I start about 1.30 and cut to 10.30 before turning the work.
Using my walk around vise post or my foot turned vise I basically cut at the 12.00 position with H&C.
Just my way, others differ I'm sure. In all cases except with an air drill, I maintain open shoulders.
A lot of it has to do with individual body movement and visual ability and we all differ slightly.
Best to all, interesting thread. John B.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's why you should add a GPS to your bench. Push a button and you can start where left off last night.
Jim

Oh crap, here we go again, another tool war. Now tell me, which GPS unit is recommended to keep my hand pointing at the correct Northwest angle. How do we determine which angles is exactly right for the best cutting. I want to see overhead photos of all the famous engravers so I can get out my protractor and assess the average angle to set my wrist up accordingly. And what if my wrist does'nt feel good at the average angle? Should I consider to surgery to re-align the bones in my forearm. Oh dear, all this extra knowledge is just so confusing.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Scott,
I kinda like the Garmin 530c. It has a real nice mounting bracket for the scope. (Pict.1) It will show you what
your engraving in different magnifications. It will tell you when you made a mistake by say "re-calculating"
and will actually tell you how to correct your error. The lady that does this is really calm and pleasant. A lot like some
the teachers I've had. You always know which way is north, thus knowing how to hold your hand.
It even measure how fast your engraving, and how much hot air you have used.

It sweetly ask where would you like to go on the engraving, and wa la, you are there.
A definite must for all modern engravers.

Jim

ps. It also calculates what time you'll finish the job. Neat "A".

Attachments

• GPS1a.jpg
    GPS1a.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
ok, are you guys using an analog clock or digital ? i'm so stupid, y'all hafta brake this down an splain it to me.

Sponsors