Work In Progress Scrimshaw on Acrylic Plastic + Engraving

Monica

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share a piece of scrimshaw art that I am working on. I really enjoy drawing and am happy that @John B. encouraged me to try scrimshaw a while back. I'm currently working on a few pieces. I'm also playing around/testing with different graver geometries for engraving because I am having trouble making small cuts very close together. I don't use a microscope. I use optivisors and do hand push engraving or use a Magnagraver on a flex shaft.

IMG_1677.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Well done Monica.
Very good practice work. !

Your perspective drawing of the mirrored female body is very well done.
And happy to see that you have the idea of creating form, shape and body by using shade, shadow and light.
Next we need to work on a little more graduation within the shade and shadow areas.

Acrylic plastic is very available. But is NOT the easiest material to scrimshaw on.
Hopefully, we can find you some dense bone and some ivory for your work.

Last edited:

Monica

Well done Monica.
Very good practice work. !

Your perspective drawing of the mirrored female body is very well done.
And happy to see that you have the idea of creating form, shape and body by using shade, shadow and light.
Next we need to work on a little more graduation within the shade and shadow areas.

Acrylic plastic is very available. But is NOT the easiest the easiest material to scrimshaw on.
Hopefully, we can find you some dense bone and some ivory for your work.
Thank you, John. Yes, the acrylic plastic is a bit difficult. The challenge of it is great practice in controlling the direction of the strokes...but it would be nice to try a material that is a little easier next time.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hello Monica
That was a great effort and a good result for some early work.
Let's keep it going and improving.
If you can master scrimshaw on acrylic you will find ivory much better, and a dream material to work on..

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
cool stuff. you can get real bone @ decent prices. a local rural king store sells huge bones that could make for good practice. a bit of cleaning is needed, but for practice, well worth the price.
monica, i'm not tryin to spend yer money, but a scope will help solve your detailing somewhat. i once thought such was a waste of money. that is, till i bought one. use of a scope will improve yer work. "try it, you'll like it" !!

Monica

cool stuff. you can get real bone @ decent prices. a local rural king store sells huge bones that could make for good practice. a bit of cleaning is needed, but for practice, well worth the price.
monica, i'm not tryin to spend yer money, but a scope will help solve your detailing somewhat. i once thought such was a waste of money. that is, till i bought one. use of a scope will improve yer work. "try it, you'll like it" !!
Thank you, Monk. This advice is very helpful. Honestly, I was hoping I would not need a scope, but I see that I will have to invest in one soon.

Latest posts

Sponsors