Would you like to move something?

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all!

First, I know that this development might be out off topic in this forum but, because its application I think that it would be interesting for some of you. Furthermore, I feel myself among friends here and I like sharing things with you.

I was commissioned by Josep, who is Jordi's brother, to develop a movement for his project. He is a fine jeweler with a large experience and is involved in a personal and huge gold work project that has moving objects. These objects are distributes in pairs but ones over the others, with the two most relevant ones in the center and the others around they. Also he wanted the objects rotate in opposite directions but at the same speed so the movement ended up with 15 concentric pairs of shafts moved with only one motor, 88 ball bearings, 44 pulleys and 6 timing belts, etc. all mounted on (and under) a 380mm by 260mm of 20mm tightness aluminum frame.

Well, this is the movement but the gold work is still on the bench. Josep has a lot of work to do as well as Jordi with the engravings so we will have to wait some month (many) to see this dynamic jewel finished.

All the best, Leonardo.

Attachments

• Mov_JS1.jpg
    Mov_JS1.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Mov_JS2.jpg
    Mov_JS2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 213
  • Mov_JS3.jpg
    Mov_JS3.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 198
  • Mov_JS4.jpg
    Mov_JS4.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Wow, Leonardo.
That is some high precision work you have done.
Is it going to be a representation of our solar system?
But maybe you can't talk about that at this stage, sorry.
Leonardo, I feel you are among friends here.
We can rely on your help and input on almost any engineering problem.
Thanks for showing this and I hope to see more when Jordi and Josep get finished.

Best regards

monk

Staff member
hmmmm. engraved parts for a rocketship. but why gold ? i cant wait to see what this looks like !

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very interesting, Leonardo! You are undoubtedly a clever engineer! I will be very interested to see how this project progresses, so please keep us informed. I'm very impressed!

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for your comments friends! Much appreciated!

John, although I have not seen all the parts (many of them are still in process) I can tell you that it will not be a solar system representation.

Monk, I know that this movement looks very far away from jewelry but like the clocks that may be made of gold they have a machine inside. The case is that when you move from static to dynamics the things get complex, even worst when you want to move 30 parts.
In the other hand, Josep is a jeweler so he envisioned his work in gold and diamonds.
Once his work get finished the machine will disappear under a big moving jewel!

Cheers, Leonardo.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam!
Look, I will make a phone call to Jordi to see if it would be possible taking a picture of some part of the gold work to add here.
Kind regards, Leonardo.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You do amazing things Leonardo. I would be very interested to see the "movement" in use.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I do like that very much, Leonardo!

So many things in the world depend on what goes on under the skin, under the bonnet. Thanks for sharing your work!

Tom

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Leonardo,

That's a beautiful piece of engineering. I have the tell you though, looking at the last two photos made my brain hurt. You are obviously smarter than the average engraver! Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hey! Thank you very much for the kind comments guys!

Mario, this movement does not do very much, only turn each shaft to let showing every piece all around.

By the way, I talked with Josep this morning and he told me that they would post some pictures of the gold work...

All the best, Leonardo.

Last edited:

diane b

:::Pledge Member:::
Leonardo,
Wow! I can't wait to see more pictures as this project progresses. Did you name your amazing piece of engineering Leonardo's Antikythera Mechanism?! thanks for sharing this with us.
Diane

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Diane,

Thank you for your kind comment! I am glad and honored that this movement had remembered you the Antikythera Mechanism but mine is waaaayyyyy far from that unique and marvelous piece made by the ancient Greek scientist about 2100 years ago!

You know… when I was developing this movement had always in mind that this project is the only one, among all the other that I have made, that has the change to survive me and perhaps, last centuries. No for the machine itself but for the application, because nobody will throw away a jewel like this machine will be moving. That were my thoughts so I put special care in the details. Beyond that, it is simply a machine.

Kind regards, Leonardo.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Jewel pictures.

Well, the photos arrive this morning so I am posting a couple here to illustrate the application but will start a new thread with all the others because I think that Josep's work deserves its own place and also will add some explanation.

Enjoy!
Leonardo.

Attachments

• Lateral2.jpg
    Lateral2.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Base2.jpg
    Base2.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leonardo,

Mama mia, que cosas, carambas, stupendi!

Is your middle name da Vinci?

I like Newtonian Mechanics, as you know, and you are a master! Thankfully, Quantum Mechanics allows us to share all of this wonderful creation online.

Barcelona continues to be a great centre of gravity for the arts and sciences. Perhaps this piece will go straight into your Maritime Museum?

Anyway, you must tell us more about the project when it is appropriate.

I hope to see some close-ups of Jordi's contribution

Congratulations to you all!

Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors