you have practice plates laying around

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
you replaced the old steel electrical sockets and plug outlets with plastic and stored them in a box somewhere in the home or garage. these are cheap practice plates and could be engraved in some ornamental manner to add old charm to the home or sell them off to purchase something you need. old door knobs should also be something to consider for decorating, and the contours will help out your engraving skills to boot.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
thanks roger. i should have mentioned that they might have some angle iron laying around that will serve the same function, some of it can be as wide as any 2x3 practice plate and its not costing you a cent. as monk told me, old water pipe,elbows,etc, cost nothing.

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Richard,
one of my first practice pieces was the round knockout plug from an electrical box.
they cut great and you can carry it around and show it off
Dave
sorry about the fuzzy picture

Attachments

• 100_2984web.jpg
    100_2984web.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 170

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
dave, yes, thats what iam talking about. and you can carry it around and show it off !!!! the list of things just sitting or laying around ones home, is endless. and its free !!!! i still have a few knock-outs from brass that are .750 in dia., didnt cost a thing. was going to engrave a electrical cover for the wife,just couldnt see how she could wear it as a braclett on her arm, hopefully it will come into fashion !!!

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
then you want me to send picture of what it will look around my head ??? she still isnt happy about that snow shovel i bought her, or, the sledge hammer and wedges for spliting firewood. she told me she liked tools !!!!!!!!!! a trip to mcdonalds should smooth things over, or windys.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
You might want to watch what you practice on, the spouses get a little testy if you start on there pots and pans, as well there silverware, they tend to give you a talking to with a skillet in there hand.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
powderhorn,my ears are still ringing from the skillet. i learned she likes it now when i call her; SIR !!!!! i have learned one thing of profound knowledge i should pass on, if you are standing up, its easier to reach for your wallet, when you are in trouble with your wife, always sit down.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member

I made this miniature bowie from a junction box cover about 15 years ago.
~Sam

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Gosh, Sam.....could that be the tool that Richgard's wife was thinking??? I must say after viewing this I'll never look at electrical boxes and such in the same light. That's amazing! But I must ask is there not a monogram in the oval? and Where's it's scabbard? Still where that shoe,eh?
Mark

Ranchman

Elite Cafe Member
Don't laugh it's all I got. But they work very well, come in all sizes and they're plentiful.

Attachments

• Dragon002.JPG
    Dragon002.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 81

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
boy oh boy, this opens a new can of worms !! this stuff is inspiration central for sure. sam, that was not only a good idea for knife material but the engraving really jumped out, jim bowie would have spent his time just sitting around and staring at it instead of heading for the alamo.. ranchman you did a real good job on engraving, that should sent the members out looking for materials to work on. thanks all for posting this stuff. its got me all fired up now.