black paint?

troutbox

hi engravers,

i recently did a gold ring that i would like to blacken the linework on. i have used chemical compounds to blacken work on other metals and remember reading somewhere that black paint is popular for this kind of thing on gold.

anyone recommend a particular brand?

or any thoughts on something better or more permanent?

thanks.

WMS

As a jeweler I have used black model paint, it comes in nice small bottles and seems to be rather durable when in a recessed area. I have also used Rust-Oleum, but considering that it tends to be available as a spray it is less confident.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
As a jeweler I have used black model paint, it comes in nice small bottles and seems to be rather durable when in a recessed area. I have also used Rust-Oleum, but considering that it tends to be available as a spray it is less confident.

It’s available as a non spray. That’s what i use.

Grayson

I have some printer's ink that seems to work well for me. It is developing a surface "rind" that's rubbery and not usable. With what do you thin that stuff?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
anyone ever try epoxy with a black pigment mixed in?

way back in the 1980s Lynton McKenzie started using 2-part epoxy paint and it was the thing for some years. it worked pretty well- very durable and resistant to oil & solvents, but was relatively expensive and hard to find. i assume it's still available somewhere. i used to buy it from a hobby shop in Denver that specialized in RC planes.

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
Wow I'm in the wrong business, the AUL solvent for removing that antique black is acetone sold at 17$ for 2 oz.... I need to up my repackaging game!

How is this stuff?
Black Antique. Found a bottle of this among her accumulation.

https://www.gesswein.com/p-13395-black-antique-2oz.aspx
I've also wondered how this stuff is? But I also wonder if it's just a type of enamel flat black paint and the solvent is just a typical paint solvent. So it may just be expensive paint and solvent. Would love to hear if anyone has used it and what their thoughts are

troutbox

I've also wondered how this stuff is? But I also wonder if it's just a type of enamel flat black paint and the solvent is just a typical paint solvent. So it may just be expensive paint and solvent. Would love to hear if anyone has used it and what their thoughts are

yeah, what he said.

Sponsors