Cameo-Intaglio

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all.
I’d like to show my experiment. I’m not a professional stone carver. But I had an idea to make in a one piece of translucent Smoky Quartz cameo and intaglio. I interested how will works the cylindrical surface for the back side intaglio. I hope a result is not too bad.
The name of a classical icon is “The Savior Not-Made-By-Hands”
Size is 56 X 46 X 7 mm.

Attachments

• Jesus_on Napkin1.jpg
    Jesus_on Napkin1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Jesus_on Napkin2.jpg
    Jesus_on Napkin2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Jesus_on Napkin3.jpg
    Jesus_on Napkin3.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

noud peters

great job, looks well Dmitriy.
You use a proffesional carving machine and hold and move the object by hand ore oderwise?

Noud Peters

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Noud. Thank you. I used just the flex shaft, a small diamond wills and a diamond burs, a piece of glass and a diamond compound, a bowl with water. Also for a finest details I made a small tungsten scrapers and gravers. I glued it on a piece of wood by shellac for carving the avers . And I hold it by hands for carving the face on the revers because I have a possible controlled a face carving with the finished translucent avers.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Dmitriy,
Very nice, I have wanted to do gem carving for some time and you got me thinking again...
Thanks
Jerry

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Dmitriy, that's simply remarkable! You're really something else. I'll bet you have forgotten more than the rest of us will ever know!

Latest posts

Sponsors