Camera died

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have noticed recently that my camera is no longer giving me sharp and focused pictures. It's a point and shoot and I'm guessing it's been dropped a few too many times. This brings me to my request for suggestions regarding everyone's favorite camera. It's number 1 function for me is to shoot pictures of engraving. I am even considering a dSLR. This is a big leap since my last technology advancement was going from the yellow tiger #2 of my school days to a part -time mechanical pencil. Are there good used cameras? I don't anticipate falling so in love with photography that I need all the fancy advanced things that I will probably never understand.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Lee, I love my Canon digital SLR but to be honest I'm really impressed with Rod's Canon G-12. He got wonderful macro photos in Reno hand-holding this puppy and using only available light. Yet, the photos were as clear and crisp as if he used a tripod. Their newer "anti-shake" stabilization technology it really impressive.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Lee: I Use A FUJI Fine Pix S700, Takes Incredible Pictures, Even On The Automatic Setting. Its Digital, Has Macro And Super Macro Settings, Built In Flash, A Nice Size Viewing Screen. You Will Need A Bigger Card, As It Comes With Very Little Built In Memory. It's Not Terribly Expensive Either.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have the Canon G12 as a travel camera and it will do a respectable engraving shot. It's definitely not in the same league as my Canon DSLR, but it's a fraction of the price and is very portable. That said, if my main focus was shooting professional shots of my engraving I would most definitely use a DSLR and appropriate lens. A used Canon 40d or 50d will serve you well, Lee. Coupled with a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens and you are good to go (assuming you have lighting). B&H Photo has the lens on sale with a rebate until Feb 4. They also have a used 50d body in their used dept. This is pro gear and not consumer stuff. The lens you can continue to use as you upgrade the camera body in the future.

Tim Halloran: I'm wondering why you type with every word starting with a capital letter?:thinking: Your posts are really awkward to read. :confused:

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
Go Cannon!!! I'm a big fan of my T1I DSLR, and they have come out with a T2I now so you should be able to get one cheaper, but they also do video, witch it a nice little feature to have. then get a decent MACRO lens. and a gorilla Pod you'll love it... K Frei

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee,

For some one who will not want to be a camera buff but who does want the best mid way between the excellence of a heavy and bulky SLR and a point and shoot, join with Sam and I and go for the Canon G12. Think of it as having as much good stuff of an SLR but squashed into something that will still go in a jacket pocket.

Sam uses every feature of a camera, and I use the G12 mostly on automatic settings. The sensor is huge compared with your point and shoot, and the marcro focus is very close.. as near as a centimeter. It will also do HD video take.

Do not just buy the camera, but get a spare battery and get a 16 gig memory card. Yes, there are many, many choices and we all have our favorites, but if you simply want to get something that works for engraving as well as general work, push the button for this kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Stabili...ty-Hi-Speed/dp/B0042YS71Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&
qid=1328215775&sr=8-2

About $470

Rod

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm going to get in trouble here. all the digitals i've bought were a real disappointment. i resorted to buying a used sony mavica. it uses the floppy disks as "film" the unique feature of this camera : you can focus so close to an object, that the lens blocks out the light. you need only push the button and it's a done deal. it has no whistles or bells, but is a very easy camera to use. it delivers an image about .7 mp. not too good if you want to enlarge a cropped area, but otherwise works good for me. i got mine for $25.00 on ebay.

Sam

Staff member
Monk, those old Sony Mavicas were great digital cameras. I used one extensively back in the day. I don't think you can get a computer with a floppy drive any more, though. And I'm sure they even make floppy disks either. But that was a good digital camera, that's for sure.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee, I use a Fuji FinePix S100FS with a Fujinon f2.8 28-400mm Zoom. The lens is adequate (kinda universal)
and it does a decent job. I'm an old 35mm throw-back that almost always uses the manual settings but these AUTO functions are acceptable.
However, this camera was given to me, and I learned to use it. I'm not speaking with my wallet.
Based on everything I've read about it, if I had to buy a camera right now, it would be the Canon G-12.

Sam

Staff member
I can't emphasize enough that proper lighting is far more important than the camera. The best camera in the world will do a terrible job if the light's not right.

Here are some test images using the Canon G12. Not bad at all, but for serious photos I use a Canon DSLR.

G12_prudhomme_buck.jpg G12_test_1.jpg G12_test_2.jpg G12_test_3.jpg G12_watch_1.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors