Question: Copyright confusion--------

Rayclayist

Hi-----I just saw a knife made by Montejano, ( Guernica painted by Pablo Picasso) an amazing engraving. But how can he reproduce that image without trouble?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
many artists using a variety of media, have done "honor" to those accepted in the art world as masters. since his work was in no way an attempt to copy an original and pass it on as an original, there's no problem that i can see. i think he was merely paying honor to an artist whose work he admired. jm2cw

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Copyrights expire, I think after 70 years after the artists death under U.S. law. However, pre-1976 the law as for a shorter term. Picasso died in 1973.
Other countries have different laws.

However this may well fall under "fair use" making that a non-issue.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like fair use to me. Imitation is they highest form of praise. Unless you are going to mass-produce copies for sale, the owner of the copyright generally will not bother you.

For a piece I did with my interpretation of the copyrighted artwork of a major entertainment company, the company had no problem with me using their art work on an engraving, and they gave me license to publish photos of it in The Engraver Magazine and on websites.

When in doubt, just ask the author of the work you wish to produce. I asked because I didn't want to cause my son any political problems at the company, since he happens to work there. If it had been another publisher, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the paperwork.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I would advise anyone not to use copyrighted work without permission. Interpreting the work of others is done every day, using the images out of copyrighted work is not an interpretation. It may prove difficult to collect from large corporations if they 'steal' your work, however they have no trouble or problem taking a small artist to the cleaners, don't do it.

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors