Daniels/Osborne Knives

Tim Adlam

Some recent projects that I've had the pleasure to engrave.
Two Alex Daniels folders...a large Sheffield folding bowie, with a nice gentleman's knife,
and an exceptional Warren Osborne folder.

Alex Daniels Knives
The client requested a "period look" on the bowie, and "something that fits" on the gent's knife.
When it comes to designing panels on knives, sometimes I like to change them up a bit
rather than just mirror the pattern to the other side.
In these two examples I chose that route.
Although the base-pattern is similar, there are still variances that make each one unique and hopefully interesting.

Warren Osborne Knife
This Osborne folder is a work-in-progress.
[The flip-side of this knife will have the pattern mirrored to the best of my ability]
I took a different approach mainly with the amount of gold work applied, and a little radical [for me] border treatment.
I use a chemical oxidizer as a foundation treatment for the background, later I will use a thin film enamel upon completion.

I find it useful to keep track of my time now and then.
According to my work-log, I have 22.5 hours invested on the front bolster.
I use a work diary more as a way to measure efficiency and economy-of-motion, rather than a dollar per hour barometer.
I know a time/money balance has to be acheived at some point, but some projects [like this one] allow me an opportunity
to reach for "personal best" regardless of the time involved.

I hope you find this work interesting, and I welcome any comments, questions or critques.

Tim

M

mcrapo

They look great. Love the design and detail.

Thanks for sharing them

Mike

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work Tim. I struggle with the time/money thing. My work does not compare to yours but hear what you're saying. Dwayne

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great looking work Tim. I really appreciate your taking the time to post it and especially saying how much time was spent. It gives us still learning an idea of what it takes to complete a job.

Thanks,
Peter

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great stuff Tim. Nice work. I agree with Scott and like that inside border as well. It has a nice look.

Tim Adlam

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Time-investment is a decision I try to make at the beginnng of a project.
Being familiar and comfortable with a pattern style helps with that estimate a bit.
When I hit on something I like [as in the original sketches below], its time to commit or start over.
Studying my sketches...I'm aware of the amount of background removal necessary and some complicated loop-de-loops...
All require TIME!
Still, my inner-mind tells me this design works.
I could've worked this out as a steel engraving with a gold border and cut the time considerably,
but felt that was somewhat boring.
I was further inspired by the latest Art piece that Andy Shinosky completed, so I went "for the gold" so to speak.
[Thanks Andy!]
After that, everything was downhill, or "up-hill"...depending upon one's perspective.

For me, taking an idea, translating it to steel with as much accuracy as human ability will allow is the ultimate challenge,
and the most satisfying achievment.
So, what I'm trying to convey is that its ok to throw the clock out the window at some point,
and be assured that your efforts will not go un-rewarded.

I hope many who struggle with this time-thing find my thoughts useful towards your own personal efforts.

Tim

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
WOW Tim,
Very Very nice, Great gold work and engraving...
Thanks for sharing the info and pics, Hope to see you at Scotts next year...
Jerry

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Tim, Thats some great work, its alot of gold but you balanced it very well so it does'nt have that over done done look.

I am in a situation much like you talked about, the bolster pictured below, its about 2" long and about 1 1/4" wide, put me over about double the time I intended and priced it out for, inexperience showing through once again, but I am hoping that the work will get noticed and it will pay off in the end. Although if I had priced it where I now think it should be I probably would'nt have gotten the job, he would have gone with a more recognizable name. Kind of a catch 22 there. Well back to work I have about 5 million dots left to cut:rolleyes: Brian

Andrew Biggs

Hi Tim

I love what you've done on those knives. Especially the gold being incorporated into the leaves and being an integral part of them. I also like the insights to the process of the work and the time factor involved. Thanks for that.

The time issue is never an easy one to resolve in any occupation, especially a creative endevour that requires artistic flair. It can change on a regular basis depending on how we feel on the day and how sick or healthy our bank accounts are looking plus what kind of work pressure we are under. Some days it's just nice to throw the clock away and go for job satisfaction. Sometimes we focus on the reward being money orientaited and forget that our souls need rewarding as well..........balancing it all is the hard part.

Cheers
Andrew

PS.....Brian, that's one very good looking knife bolster you are doing there. Is that copper on the back or coloured gold?. I'll look forward to seeing the finished work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors