Announcement: Diffused LED ring light - New release.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Whenever you want Monk, I will be happy to answer your questions!

It was really a funny comment... I am still laughing! But seriously, the problem is not in the ring light. I am sure that it can receive many whacks without affecting its performance but I would be concerned about the delicate optics of the microscope.

I changed the lighting on all my microscopes to Leonardo's.
It's so good that you don't think about it.
Thank you Leonardo for creating the light in the tunnel

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Joacim.... thank's to you!
I appreciate your feedback very much.
Hope you are very well and safe.
All the best to you and yours,
Leonardo

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my light got here on thursday. much quicker than i anticipated. sadly, a foot injury has ne sidelined for another day or so. when i can reduce the elevation to just now and then, i'll give the light its' new home. tyvm, leonardo.

monk

Staff member
i finally got off the couch. the light is quality from the start. i have to modify my scope a bit for a good fit. i ihad o remove the .5 lens and shave just a tiny bit off the side of the lower lens housing for a good fit. works great, illuminates even better.

jim garrett

Leonardo, will you please send me a PM with the price and the ordering instructions. I'm aware of the delay due to the pandemic but I would also like some idea as to when they will be available again.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Dear engravers friends,

I want to thank you all for your interest in the ring light, it is really much appreciated but

PLEASE, DO NOT fill up this thread asking me for commercial information.

I would like to reserve this thread to share information on LED lights, receive feedback, critics, etc. that might be useful for everybody.

If you want to contact me, just send a PM. I will be glad of answering all your questions and to give you the info you are needing.

Thank you for your understanding and best regards,
Leonardo

monk

Staff member
Leonardo, will you please send me a PM with the price and the ordering instructions. I'm aware of the delay due to the pandemic but I would also like some idea as to when they will be available again.
mine came to my door i think in 8 to 10 days. i was surprized.

monk

Staff member
I have been using one of Leonardos lights since 2016 and what I really appreciate, in addition to the lighting, is that the mounting hole is large enough to slip fully up to the body of my scope. The stock light that comes with the Leica won't attach up next to the scope body once you affix a reducing lens, the hole is too small, so it hangs down lower and reduces work clearance. Leonardos light slides right up next to the scope body and gives additional clearance, which is really a benefit. Plus it is metal so if I accidentally hit the housing with my hammer it's not too detrimental.
the leica i have doesn't have that problem. i had to "shave a couple of sharp corners a bit after removing the .5 lens. the light will not interfere wit the working distance on my scope. btw, i found out 5 minute epoxy, even when well stirred takes about 48 hours to fully cure !

monk

Staff member
the light works better than i had anticipated. not so much the brightness, but the rather "warm" or natural looking light is faar easier on my eyes. beats the heck out of my homemade lighting setup. i never much thought of glare, until now that it is gone !

jim garrett

I just received my ring light and although I have only used a short time, I agree with all of the favorable comments I have read regarding the light. It is a quality piece of equipment.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Really impressed with my light as well, Leonardo. Makes a tremendous difference. Thank you!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'd like to reiterate what Brian said about having the light sit higher up around the scope body. 4-5 years ago I was looking for a LED system that was wider, a larger outside diameter, than typical microscope lights because I wanted curved surfaces illuminated over a greater area. smaller lamps tended to make the center bright, but the perimeter curved off into darkness. i got tired of positioning additional spotlights to kinda sorta fix that.

however, i didn't want the larger diameter light fixture head interfering with my work, so it had to mount higher up. my DIY solution was adapting a 'shoot thru' photography flood and making a custom bracket that screwed to the microscope mount. the bottom of the light is almost 2" above the bottom of the objective lens. Leonardo's accomplishes the same thing without any additional engineering and machining.
IMG_6951.jpeg IMG_6952.jpeg IMG_6953.jpeg

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Mitch, unfortunately it is not possible to affix my ring light so high to all the microscopes models. Its internal diameter is 60 mm, so as an example, it will not work with a B&L stereo-zoom because the square shape of its body.
In this case the ring light will take about 30 mm of your working distance.

Anyway, the main objective of this design was centered in the quality of the light and I am really glad that all my customers appreciate its benefices.

Last edited: