Engraved iPhone (a.k.a. creating buzz)

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
So I wanted to bling up my old iPhone and it has just a perfect steel bezel for that. 8 hours later and that's the result. I must say tho, that the steel was very hard to work with, about 1/4th of the time was spent on resharpening gravers.

Also, on the sidenote. Yesterday I posted this photo to the internets and so far it has brought in about 12000 views (more than 10k just today). Had to upgrade my server twice on the fly to keep up with the traffic... Currently that blog post is still finding its way to new sites. Let's see how that works out as a marketing scheme.

Attachments

• iphone_new_small.jpg
    iphone_new_small.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 450

Andrew Biggs

Hi Vilts

Very nice indeed and very cool as it adds a touch of class to a very boring looking object.

What really surprises me is that it is metal!!!! I thought all of these things were plastic!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
That looks pretty cool! A "one of a kind" by now. Perhaps the engraving advances the radio reception, too! ;)

Regards, Mario.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind responses :)

Indeed, apple makes rather nice hardware and it's nice to see they use metal. The new iPhone is probably not engrave-able, as they use some special metal for bezel that is "5 times stronger than standard steel". Whatever that means. However they did buy recently company called Liquid Metal, that has some fancy metal stuff going on (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOEBR3DcqN0&feature=related).

theresamarieus, Apple's new macbook pros are made of aluminium. I don't think you find any laptop use regular steel or iron etc. It would be too heavy. Some extra fancy laptops I've seen used Ti for some parts, I think.

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Those are some NICE little scrolls Viljo!

Some time back I saw a name engraved in script on an Ipod that looked pretty good. I thought they were plastic, but it was some type of alloy that cut well.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very cool Viljo:beerchug:

I have been looking for a metallic case for my iphone that I can engrave but all of them that I have seen have been plastic.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
That was 3mm wide. Nice practice for rings and jewelry, I think :)

Vilts, that looks really nice, can you tell the size wide of the metal part?

arnaud

Ray, there are some custom made metal cases for iphones, but as much as I've heard they really kill the reception.

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice!!! Did you remove the bezel from the phone to engrave it? If so, how did you do it? If not, how did you hold the phone for engraving??

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice!!! Did you remove the bezel from the phone to engrave it? If so, how did you do it? If not, how did you hold the phone for engraving??

This time I didn't remove the bezel, I just clamped it in the vise between leather pads. That was supposed to be just a quick test to see if and how the metal is engrave able...

If I'm going to engrave some more of it, I will definitely figure out a better way to hold it. Plus remove the screen and electronics inside. Bunch of thermoloc and wood blocks are the way, I guess.

Also, looks like I'll get an iPhone 4 tomorrow to see how that cuts. I'll keep you posted.

Latest posts

Sponsors