Engraved iPhone (a.k.a. creating buzz)

Andrew Biggs

Hi Vilts

The way you have held the phone to engrave may be why it was so tough to engrave......or the metal could just be as tough as granite :)

By clamping the whole thing in the vise would have meant a lot of vibration which will work against you when you use a power engraver. Even a small amount of vibration can make the going a lot tougher than it needs to be.

If it was stripped apart and the bezel held more solidly to dampen down that vibration then it may be easier to engrave. It's surprising how that will make a huge difference and you will find that even extremely hard metals can be cut if held rigid.

Cheers
Andrew

2tailfins

THe iPhone is cool- nice to see a modern piece of technology with a touch of class- I love your work

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
You guys need to see this: http://buypoe.com/blogs/itech/81-custom-hand-engraved-iphone.html

Text from the site, if it gets changed for some reason:

"It took this man a whopping 8 hours to engrave his very own iPhone, Unique huh?. Already this man has received offers for up to $100,000 to engrave a whole iPhone. He has estimated to do a whole iPhone would take him up to a full 90 hours. I couldn't imaging spending 2 hours on something like this, not to mention 8, or even 90, but for $100,000, I would be one to reconsider. What are your views? Would you try it, or pay for it if you had the money? Post your views below!"

Would I do it for the 100k? Hmm...

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Are those offers legit Viljo? If so, I think you need to find out how to disassemble them for easier engraving!

OR

it is a good example of how things get exaggerated on the internet?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Vilts: My nephew sent me the link a couple of days ago.

The iPhone 4 has a perfect bezel for engraving, too. I've been tempted!

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Are those offers legit Viljo? If so, I think you need to find out how to disassemble them for easier engraving!

OR

it is a good example of how things get exaggerated on the internet?

Naah, not a real deal. I heard of this offer the time I found that site. Made me LOL nicely...

Where do people come up with stuff like that?

Vilts: My nephew sent me the link a couple of days ago.

The iPhone 4 has a perfect bezel for engraving, too. I've been tempted!

Sam, please do engrave it :). I'd like to know how hard its frame is...

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
DO you have to be a member of that forum to post a comment on that post? Someone needs to get on there and educate those folks to the fact that hand engraving takes time and has real monetary value.

my 2 cents,

Ray

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh hell, I just pulled my iphone 4 out of its protective case and Sam is right that would be the perfect bezel to engrave as long as it is no made of Stellite or unobtainium. :shock:

You may have hit on something here other than just a cool idea Viljo. This may very well be another potential market for engravers. Heck if a guy is willing to carry a $4,000 engraved fountain pen and a $7,500 engraved pocket knife in his suite pockets to the office everyday I don't think he would frown on the idea of having his phone engraved to match.

Boy the more i think about this the more I like it. I'm tempted to take a sample cut on mine this evening.

Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ray: Keep me posted if you cut on the iP4 bezel. I agree that engraving assembled makes the most sense. It will void the warranty, but I've already jailbroken mine so it's already out of warranty :big grin:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cuts OK, I think I will gold inlay mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT isn't the smoothest cutting metal I have seen. Its not like a leaded mild steel but it is very engravable in my opinion.

It seems to have a little graininess to it as the cuts are not super crisp at the edges but that my very well be the sandblasted surface they put on it too.

You all can buy me a diet coke next time you see me for going first.:big grin:

Ray

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Ray,

Just wondering if this will become part of your Intermediate Course curriculum? Would you supply the iPhone as materials?

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doesn't this type of alteration void the warranty on these? I think even laser engraving if not done at the factory voids the warranty - and that doesn't even come close to causing problems with the internal workings.

andrewoval

Just wanted to post that you can also buy parts of the iphone on ebay so you don't have to mess with the one you currently own. You can buy the bevels from older models and perhaps buy the newer ones as well. Just look for OEM bevel iphones.

Anyone got a black berry to try this on? Preferably a 9700:thumbs up:

Latest posts

Sponsors