Question: Engravers Cafe vs Engraving Bench - Hand Engraving Tips & Techniques

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know many of us are on both forums. I tend to check the Facebook version more often and, only check in here once in awhile. I VERY rarely look at the Engraving Forum (Lindsay) but, I do once in awhile. Almost never for the others.

As for myself, I'm thinking Sam and the Facebook forum is dominating the world of hand engraving forums.

I really miss how active this forum and Steve Lindsay's forum used to be. It seems that the Facebook groups have taken many away.
I agree, It seems like everyone used to be more involved and do some fun little projects that included users. I saw a post recently where Sam A. Sketched out a leaf outline and wanted to see how others would shade the same leaf. I thought that was a really cool idea. Even if something similar to this was done once a month to get people more involved. I'd be interested in things like this myself. Anyone else?

Oh and as for the Facebook group Sam runs. Is it a forum style group? Like with Archived tips and helpful posts? Or is it just a group that shares pics mostly and occasional tips/ instruction? Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything

deazyner

Yes, I was referring to the Facebook groups where many people post pictures of their work and everyone says its nice. Not really the interaction that we get on this forum. I'm trying to figure out why things have changed and am thinking that many people have created their own Instagram and Youtube channels and are using them to post and promote their own work. That and maybe many are just too busy. I'm thinking of Layne's youtube channel (Master Engraver TV) and how cool and generous it was for him to create all the helpful videos that he did but I can only imagine the amount of time it took to create these videos and keep engraving at the same time.

Yes, I was referring to the Facebook groups where many people post pictures of their work and everyone says its nice. Not really the interaction that we get on this forum. I'm trying to figure out why things have changed and am thinking that many people have created their own Instagram and Youtube channels and are using them to post and promote their own work. That and maybe many are just too busy. I'm thinking of Layne's youtube channel (Master Engraver TV) and how cool and generous it was for him to create all the helpful videos that he did but I can only imagine the amount of time it took to create these videos and keep engraving at the same time.
I agree, I think a lot of it is the time. For me just trying to work my 9-5 and trying to engrave is tough. Some days I can get an hour in here and there but I rarely get to sit down for a few hours but maybe a day a week, 2 if I'm lucky. I'm happy Layne Z. Started his channel because it really is helpful for someone learning. I've bought my share of dvds and tutorials so I appreciate Layne has them up free for all. Although I also 100% understand getting paid for your time, effort and tricks of the trade that only come with experience. Getting a little off track here, I think a lot of guys do have a lot going on. I also I think a lot of people like SamW are available to answer a question if possible when they can, or when they feel qualified on the subject. It's probably more active than we realize, maybe not with new interactive posts or tutorials etc but they do check in to see what's happening day to day. And I'll end that with HUGE thank you to everyone who made this the resource it is. The archives are discussions by some of the best in the trade and I feel lucky to have access. Thanks to all! And Thanks Sam! ♥ ✌️

I agree, I think a lot of it is the time. For me just trying to work my 9-5 and trying to engrave is tough. Some days I can get an hour in here and there but I rarely get to sit down for a few hours but maybe a day a week, 2 if I'm lucky. I'm happy Layne Z. Started his channel because it really is helpful for someone learning. I've bought my share of dvds and tutorials so I appreciate Layne has them up free for all. Although I also 100% understand getting paid for your time, effort and tricks of the trade that only come with experience. Getting a little off track here, I think a lot of guys do have a lot going on. I also I think a lot of people like SamW are available to answer a question if possible when they can, or when they feel qualified on the subject. It's probably more active than we realize, maybe not with new interactive posts or tutorials etc but they do check in to see what's happening day to day. And I'll end that with HUGE thank you to everyone who made this the resource it is. The archives are discussions by some of the best in the trade and I feel lucky to have access. Thanks to all! And Thanks Sam! ♥ ✌️
Just realized you've been around for a while Deazyner so you probably got to see the forum active when it was fairly new, exciting and fresh in engravers minds. I've only been around learning the art for the past 6 or 7 Months I think so my opinion isn't very valuable on the subject.

deazyner

Yes, I've had an interest in engraving for a long time yet never have had the time to pursue. I have purchased everything I need to practice engraving in the past year or two yet still unable to find the time. Hoping that will change soon. The forums have definitely evolved over the time I've been following and am wondering if newer engravers just don't know what a resource these forums can be. There are so many experts that generously offer advice that they have spent their lifetimes learning. It has been fun and interesting watching the development of many engravers on these forums over the years. A couple that come to mind are Jeff Parke and Brian Hochstrat. I think Jeff was just beginning when I started following although you would never know by looking at his practice plates. He has gone on to develop a scroll style that is very distinctive which is amazing with all the different styles of scroll engraving out there and his engraving is incredible. I think Brian was also new when I started following the forums and now everything he does looks like it belongs in a museum. I think your opinion is very valuable because you represent the group of new engravers .

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Social media has taken its toll on online forums of all genres. The world is on Facebook, while our Cafe is still the best repository of hand engraving information on the planet. Trying find an article on Facebook may or may not get results, while it's relatively easy to do here.

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Though the various social media platforms have their place, there really is no better source of raw information than forums such as this that draw input from among the worlds best artists in the chosen medium, 955 pages of help at your fingertips, hard to beat for those on a buget and the only thing better really is apprenticeship or paid for classes.

Last edited:

Sponsors