Engraver's Script Instruction

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
CP Zaner Instructional Exemplars 9 of 9

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
The New Spencerian Compendium Of Penmanship, 1879

This is arguably one of the most important and sought after books in ornamental penmanship. It is well worth a look. The penmanship forms in this book were penned by Lyman P. Spencer and Henry Flickinger, then they're engraved for intaglio printing by the legendary engraver Archibald McClees. This is one of the many books I personally scanned cover to cover.

http://www.iampeth.com/books/spencerian_compendium/compendium_index.php

Joe Vitolo

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
What a fantastic thread
I think I could teach myself to write after reading this, Unfortunatly during my junior years at school the education Dept decided to change the style that we were to learn 4 times. I didn't adapt well, I have trouble reading my own writting
But Thanks to Joe & others this thread has kept me absorbed all evening
Cheers Graham

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the post. Roundhand/Engrosser's/Engraver's script owes much to the Engraving arts. In fact, the past masters spoke of this particular style of calligraphy as the equivalent of 'Engraving on paper' rather than handwriting since the letters are drawn. My own handwriting is pretty poor when compared to my script.

Regards,

Joe Vitolo

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Lessons in Engraver's Script by O.E. Hovis Post 1 of 7

Hi,

I will be posting a series of lessons in Engraver's Script by O.E. Hovis. I have little background info on Mr. Hovis beyond what is posted below. Focus on the form of the letters and not how to write them.

Regards,

Joe Vitolo

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
It is uncanny looking at this post of yours Joe
This is identical to the last writting script that they tried to teach us at school minus the explantions
But we were given 3 lines = 2 equal spaces to form it in so the top of the K was according to this to high & we had no control on the tail like the g p z etc
I look forward to the rest of your posts
Cheers Graham

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Clinton C. Canan (1873-1904) Zanerian Certificate

This masterpiece was penned by CC Canan (1873-1904) on 1893 as a requirement for graduation. This is the only known extant specimen that contains BOTH CP Zaner and Elmer Ward Bloser's (i.e. Zaner-Bloser) signatures on the same page. It hangs on the wall in my study. Tragically, Canan would die from acute appendicitis at the age of 31 on September 29, 1904. He was one of only a single handful of pen masters (Madarasz and Dennis were the other two) whose skill level prompted the Zanerian College of Penmanship to publish a posthumous book on their work. that is highly sought after by collectors, C.C. Canan - Collection of Penmanship (1921). This is another booked I scanned cover-to-cover. You may view those scans here:

http://www.iampeth.com/books/canan/canan_index.php

IAMPETH also makes these books available in pdf format at no charge. The direct download link is:

http://www.iampeth.com/ADOBE_PDFs/Canan,%20CC%20-%20Collection%20of%20Penmanship.pdf

Few those wishing to view a high-resolution scan of the image below please go to:

http://www.zanerian.com/CananCert300color.jpg

Enjoy,

Joe Vitolo

Last edited:

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Lessons in Engraver's script from Edwin L. Brown (1869-1958)

Hi,

I will be posting a series of nine lessons in Engraver's script from Edwin L. Brown (1869-1958), one of the most versatile penman who ever lived. The images were scanned an old American Penman magazine.

Regards,

Joe Vitolo

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe,

I just want to add my voice to those who have already thanked you for your generous postings! This is a wonderful reference source, and must save an serious student a ton of time in having the work so conveniently arranged.

Thank you!

Rod

Last edited:

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Humming a Love Song

This one is for Sam. I believe it is your wife who posted the pics of Humming birds. This beautiful specimen was penned by Jake Weidmann. A young penman/artist who will be inducted as a Master at this year's IAMPETH Convention in a little over a week in Phoenix, AZ. I think this would make a GREAT engraved specimen as well. Jake calls this one 'Humming a Love Song'. The direct link is

http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.228507394.jpg

Regards,

Joe Vitolo

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Joe,

I just want to add my voice to those who have already thanked you for your generous postings! This is a wonderful reference source, and must save an serious student a ton of time is having the work so conveniently arranged.

Thank you!

Rod

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the post and the kind comments. Just a reminder to anyone who does not already know that I make ALL of my instructional materials available without cost. At some point I will publish a Book/DVD instructional manual for my style of script. If any Engravers on this site are interested I’ve decided to make my complete Copperplate Workshop Handout available to members of this site. There is no cost and no catch. You may download and print the complete 87 page Workshop Handout at:

http://www.zanerian.com/VitoloBookHandoutComplete3.pdf

I just ask that the material not be distributed since it will serve as the basis of my future instructional book should I overcome my procrastination. The instruction manual is composed of several of the articles I’ve published over the years. Please keep in mind that these are individual articles pasted together; therefore, the narrative does not read as a cohesive book. Even though it is intended for pointed pen instruction it is my hope that Engravers will find the concepts contained with in helpful.

Joe Vitolo

Latest posts

Sponsors