Engraving Class / Teacher Recommendations

brennon272

Hello,

I am interested in learning engraving and feel the best way to do so is to take a class (followed by many more classes. Haha). I am primarily wanting to focus on firearm engraving. If anyone could give some recommendations for a teacher that would be great. Preferably one who will teach an absolute beginner and with Airgravers. I am in the United States and willing to travel in the US for instruction.

Thanks,
brennon272

Dean

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Brennon, there are several fantastic teachers out there, teaching all aspects of engraving. And of course this forum and the Lindsay forum will provide a wealth of information with so many great people willing to help one another.

When I started out a couple of years ago I took my beginners class with Ray Cover in MO. And then a second class, (intermediate) with him this past year. Both classes were great and extremely helpful and well worth it. Ray is an fantastic engraver and teacher, but more than that Ray is a super person. I will also be taking other classes with Ray.

Good luck to you, Dean

KGDiebold

I've taken two classes with Ray Cover as well, and can't wait to take another class with him. He is moving to the Branson area and hasn't posted a 2020 schedule yet. I live near Kansas City, so he is pretty close to me. I went to Texas engraving school in Brookshire, TX and was very pleased with Wes Griffin. He frequently has guest instructors there as well. I'm heading back down there in May. He also offers a lot of online classes. It's nothing compared to being there with an engraver in person, but with no travel expenses, you get a lot for the money. GRS in Emporia, KS has many talented instructors. I believe they've expanded their school this year. I just haven't caught the right class at the right time to make it out there....yet. If you post your general location, you may get some suggestions close to you. That way you can spend your money on tools instead of bus fare!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Engraving classes with J.J.Roberts are done on a one to one basis. It consists of power assist, hammer & chisel, hand push Bulino, tool sharpening, drawing of scrolls, animal & bird anatomy. Classes any day, weekends or during the week. It is made convenient for the student. Cost=two days $450.00, three days $550.00, one week $850.00. Convenient to many hotel and eateries in the Manassas, VA area. Please call to schedule and for more information...703-330-0448. email jjrengraver@aol.com...website...www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver. J.J.

JohnC

Grs has a number of instructors who are well qualified to teach engraving. I haven't attended any of their classes but I have met some of their instructors at gun show etc.
For training I chose a less costly course. In 2012 I attended an NRA 10 day instruction at Montgomery Community college North Carolina, Jesse Houser was the instructor. I am not sure how much money I saved, Travel and lodging over ten days increased the cost a good bit. Over all I was very satisfied with the experience. Then in 2019 I attended a 5 day course at Conner prairie in Indiana. This class was instructed by John Shippers at Gunsmith/tool maker with more than 50 years of experience. This class cost more but travel and lodging was a little less costly. Again, I am very satisfied with with the experience.

Without reservation I can recommend either of these training opportunities.

With good effort, lots of practice plates you should be ready to cut some gun steel in 5 to 10 years.

Good luck and have a lot of fun..

I

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
I’ve taken classes with JJ Roberts, GRS and I will be taking a class at the new Jewelery Institute of America with a Tira Mitchell and my Pulsegraver. JJ provides great individual instruction I will be taking more instruction with JJ in the future. JJ has the Lindsay Engraver’s but will teach you on your equipment too if you want. GRS has mainly group instruction in fully outfitted classrooms by fully qualified and well known instructors from all over the country. Their instruction is excellent also but it is a pain getting there from the east coast. Plane ride to KC then an hour or more drive to the facility but the motels etc were nice. JIA is brand new and located just outside of NYC so it is convenient for those Of us on the east coast and they also bring in well known instructors from all over. I am taking the course at JIA to learn how to best use my Pulsegraver from the lady that is one of the developers, Tira.

All of these are worth the money. However, I think you get more for your money when you learn on the equipment you have. If you are using the Lindsay Equipment then I recommend JJ Roberts, GRS if you are using GRS equipment and this JIA class with Tira if you are using the Pulsegraver. BTW ....... the JIA course is 3/16 - 20 and a open house on the 15th and there is a REALLY good discount on both the Pulsegraver and the class (if you buy the Pulsegraver). There are some openings so I would contact Tira of JIA for details if interested. Oh and class size is limited to 8 So there will be a lot of individual attention.

Also, these courses teach the techniques etc which can be used on any equipment but, in my opinion, it is even better when the instruction is given using the equipment you are using at home. Also, you need the basics before you get into gun engraving so any of these would be good. There are many excellent instructors and classes out there. These are just the ones I’ve experienced.

I have the Lindsay, GRS and the Pulsegraver so I’m taking courses using all 3. I am and will always be a beginner because I don’t ever see myself becoming good enough to sell anything. For me, it’s just fun.

Jus Sayin

Last edited:

JohnC

4 sample engravings.jpg

The squirrel and the hen turkey were my practice plates at the Jesse Houser class. the 2 Rococo practice plates were done at my John Shippers class.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
GRS got me started and the courses are great. I have taken 5 classes there and have been very satisfied. Unfortunately my daughter moved from Kansas as I was able to stay with her and didn't have the motel expense. I would be taking a class every year if she had not moved.

ongie

Robert Strosin teaches a one week class at Iowa Valley Technical college in Grinnell Iowa as part of their Master Craftsman series. I've attended twice and really enjoyed it, small class with personal attention. I 'm going again this year.
Ongie

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your choices depend greatly on what stage of the game you are in. Some of the classes available might have previous experience requirements. If the eventual goal is to engrave guns then spend as much time as you can working on artwork as you do cutting. Cutting will be the easy part. With gun engraving there is a whole host of other skills that will be necessary to go along with simply cutting. Basic gunsmithing. Metalwork etc.
Lastly make sure you are up to date on the Federal requirements. Gun engraving requires a Federal Firearms License and many are not aware of this fact. You can download the requirements for this from the BATF web page.
As for classes. Once you have taken some basic classes, Rex Peterson teaches a basic gun engraving class at GRS based on the Bond Derringer which is a good gun to learn on.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
We are all very excited about the new GRS training facility! Many of the 2020 classes sold out in minutes and some sold out literally in seconds. Some of the most talented engravers and diamond setters in America started their journey at GRS.

Sponsors