Critique Request First Hobo Nickel

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all
Just had a friend make me a nickel holder and had a go at my first nickel the coin had a lot of damage which I have managed to cut some away but the two near the date are just too deep still not ever have tried it here it is and comments and suggestions welcome average or bad please no ataboy to old for that cr_p just let me have it thank.
regards
ray
[/IMG]

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You've proven that you can produce a decent hobo nickel, so no more bad coins for you as they will have little or no desirability to collectors. Use clear date coins and preserve LIBERTY as you have done.

Smooth fields are more desirable to collectors and difficult to produce. Your stippled field is pretty irregular. If you're going to texture it, consider putting a border around it for a neater job.

The ear ain't so good...practice that. It's too small and ears don't look like what you have done. Hey, they're hard to do correctly but you can do it. The hair and beard are nicely done for your first one, and you're shaping of nose is good. You're on the right track for sure.

I'd say the two things that would turn off a buyer for this piece...at least at a good price for your time...is the textured field and the deep pits. The field can be dealt with the but pitting is there to stay.

Also keep in mind not to round off the edges of the coin. This one might be a result of it being old and worn, but many new hobo carvers sand and smooth their coins to the point where the outside edges round over. Keep 'em crisp.

Congrats on your first hobo!

mrthe

nice coin to be the first attemp. like Sam i think the ear is too little considere that if you make a real potrait the proportion of the ears shoul be starting at the high part of the eye and end to the point of the nose, and the background need more stippling try with a square point punch

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks
Sam & mrthe these are the sort of truthful comments I was looking for thanks
sam the coin was in bad condition just one I had used it more to find out what the material cuts like yes the ear is pretty bad but he may have been a boxer who didn't keep his right guard up but then if that was the case his nose would be flatter your right as always just a crap ear:eek: but I have taken onboard the point you have both made. And make a point of looking at a lot more nickels for referance.
thanks again
ray

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
your sculpting is fairly good. i'd cut away a bit more on his lower lip. i like the hair . the beard's ok, except for the sharp edge along the cheek. i'd also burnish the marks on his neck. for a first, i think it's very good.

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
The nice thing about coin carving is that you can always improve on them, not just from piece to piece, but all the suggestions Sam made could be applied to this coin. The field could be smoothed out and it's also good practice to try to carve the entire field down a bit and smooth out with Gesswein finish stones or scotch stones (remember those?). I use a wide, flat graver ground to a slightly radiused shape to cut the curved fields.

All in all, this is not bad at all for your first try and is actually reminiscent of some of the classic carvings that have more of a "folk art" look to them.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray, a good first attempt. Pay attention to what the others have said about using a good coin (your time is too valuable to waste on a poor canvas!) Awhile back I posted a basic rules for profile drawing that can be used for hobo carvers. Keep the basic "rules" in mind, even if you are going for more of a "character" carving. These rules apply to both male and female figures, just modify the main characteristic elements to determine sex.

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?9353-Facial-Proportions

Latest posts

Sponsors