GRS Turntable Kit

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey guys, I'm going to order this turntable from GRS in the morning, Gift from Momma for my birthday coming in May, She's a sweetie, anyway my question is, is the Teflon Disc that beneficial? Will I be sorry I don't get it? When trying out Shanna's Dulin-Hawk engraving platform, I was blown away at all of it, but part of it that made the whole thing sweet was the turntable, being able to push a button and raise the table right into focus & center the turntable up under the scope blew me away, I know most of you probably don't struggle with this but I'm constantly having to move & reposition my vise and readjust my scope, that's fixen to be all behind me now after I get the turntable, I can feel it now!!!!!! :D Thanks in advance for your advise. Dwayne

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know what they charge for that teflon disc but you will get tired of shoving that vise into position without it. I'd get it as it makes things slide a lot easier. I glued a sheet of what is known as "bondable teflon" to the top of Jim Small's vise platform and his vise moves around there a lot easier than the original bare metal surface.

fitzo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dwayne, until recently I had small stick-on teflon "glides" stuck onto the Magnablock base, which helped considerably. A friend recommended the teflon disc from GRS. It works better yet.

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
I have been using the piece that comes with the thermolok kit and it works great . same stuff as the disc. I would get it

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And then there are weirdos like me absolutely detest my vise moving around and would'nt have a teflon sheeti within a mile of my vise. But it works great for the thermo-loc.

And the turntable is an essential for microscope use.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
How about this idea, folks, for those who like to fiddle with gizmos?:

If you had a flat base under your vise, and it sat on a flat platform, you could supply a small amount of compressed air under the base, and it would float almost frictionlessly. When you remove the air, the vise would sit rock solid. The air would have to come up through the center of the turntable, I think.

This could be a foot pedal or a pushbutton operation. it would be like driving a car, one foot for the gas, one for the clutch ( for those who still haven't switched over to AirTact of Lindsay yet)

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom, You're getting a little tooooo far out there! :D I called GRS this morning and spoke with Aaron, He's getting the turntable, teflon disk, the brake set out to me, said it should be here by Thursday, which is my day off. I'm excited. I got use to just moving my vise around and adjusting my scope all the time, because as you guys know, when working with something that is rounded you can't always keep your vise level so I find myself always re-positioning my work, and having to adjust my scope accordingly. My neck and back would be killing me after about an hr & 1/2. But after setting at Shanna's scope with the turntable and the gas operated platform, there's no need to change your scope more than a tad of fine tuning. I can't wait to get it in and cut something using it. I'm just about finished with a folder I making for a customer that has Damascus Bolsters, I'm kicking around some drawings right now using a banner for his name. Anyway thanks as always for all of yalls advise. You guys are tops in my books, Dwayne

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm with Scott, dont want my vice moving anymore-came up with a vise add-on that lets me move the work to the center of the vice-moves six inghes on the y and x axis so my vice stays put.Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors