Heel sharpening question

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Number #1 would be better suited to hand push and chisel and hammer engraving, whereas #2 is best for air assist engraving.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have used both types on almost everything. The only difference I could determine was if you go too deep with the conventional or #1 type you cannot come out of the cut. When using the number 2 type or parrallel heel it doesn't matter how deep you go. The graver won't dive on you. But the extra time involved in sharpening isn't worth the effort to me. Both cut around corners the same if you lean them some to the outside of the curve. In my opinion if you can't come out of the cut with the #1 type your cutting too deep. Most beginners tend t ocut too deep

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my experience, #2 will leave less or no burr, especially on deeper cuts. Another advantage of #2 is that you can heavily flare a cut using a square graver that would normally require a flat graver.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
#2. the shorter the heel, the better for tight curves. i never measured, just eyeballed. sam alfano advised not much wider than a human hair. btw, don't know how a bald guy used a hair as a guide. where did he get one ??

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I engraved with a 90° #1 for 25 years.
I started with #2 when GRS introduced their EasyGraver fixture, which I wanted the speed and convenience of. I can engrave equally well with either geometry but as Roger pointed out, #2 is well suited for flare cuts.

Latest posts

Sponsors