Issue 79

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I explained my process for color engraving in detail in David Darom's first book, Modern Custom Folding Knives. Anyone can get a copy from Steve Lindsay at,
http://www.airgraver.com/David Darom book.htm This is the book with the Lindsay/Lindsay knife on the cover that recently sold for $110,000.

I want to thank you for the advice about the punches and I am really looking forward to trying out sculpting. I have made a commitment with Steve that I am very excited about, to putting this tutorial on his www.EngravingSchool.com. Steve is editing it now and will have it up soon.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
What I like about the jewelers burs for punches is that they don't have a straight taper, but are hollow ground. It makes for a really graceful punch that's easy to see around. I love 'em. Winston makes his from common drill rod and hardens them.

Let us know when the tutorial is posted, Tim. I wasn't aware it was in a book. Anyway, those of us who haven't seen it will be anxious to see your process. Thanks for sharing it.
Cheers from Belgium / ~Sam

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Using jeweler's burrs, now that's a cool idea! I am going to have to try it. I am experimenting more and more with pneumograving! (though it will be a long time before I am ready to switch over completely from H&C) I should have paid more attention to what kind of tools you were using when we were at Grand Masters '06. There was just soooo much to take in: it's been two years and my head is still reeling so much you can hear the pea rattling around inside!

Weldon

Latest posts

Sponsors