Issue 79

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Rex.... I got a copy of the handbook when I joined, full of real nuggets of information....:eek: Oooops, have I dropped someone in it......:eek:

I'll get my coat..........:eek:

Got my copy of #79 this morning, excellent..... when is it going weekly......:D

Degs

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Great job Andrew and thanks to everyone that contributed...
Look foward to the next issure, to bad it's not every month...
Thanks again,
Jerry

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm really jealous, all you guys talking about the new issue and mine didn't arrive today!!!! Now I have to suffer through the weekend with withdrawal pains. (Wimper...wimper)

Mark

Andrew Biggs

Thank you everyone for those nice comments.

The people that really deserve the accolades are those that contribute with the articles, photos and artwork and advertisiing. It takes quite a bit of time and effort to to do that and isn't always an easy task. We are all very lucky that these people are willing to share their work, knowledge, techniques and experience with us.

There are a lot more really interesting articles coming up about all sorts of things to do with engraving. Schools, techniques, materials, prep work, human interest, business, profiles of engravers etc etc.

Cheers
Andrew

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
First Thanks to Andrew B. for a great idea, and second a great big thank you to all those that wrote such informative great articles. Wow and just a couple of weeks before the shotgun engraving class in Emporia. As always the magazine comes with perfect timing.

:eek:

Sandy

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OOPS...
Hey, I don't handle the stuff in the FEGA office, just try to answer when we have problems. We aren't supposed to ship them out of US anyhow.

Andrew Biggs

Members can download the handbook as a PDF file from the www.fega.com web site. It's under the members section and all you have to do is log in. The paper size is letter

It's just over a 100 pages so you have to load up your printer or you can save it to CD and get a local print shop to run it off and spiral bind it.

It's not really a "how to" book but more of a collection of hints and tips gathered by members over the years and well worth having as there's nothing else quite like it available.

Cheers
Andrew

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Andrew,

Broke the seal on the journal at my buddies house this evening. What a WORLD CLASS PERIODICAL!!

Simply outstanding with world class contributors.

I don't what else to say .... even the ads are great. Talk about a boost of energy. It's better than chuggin' down a giant Red Bull.

An engraver doesn't even have to be in the business of engraving firearms to benefit from what's in these pages.

Catch ya later,

Chris

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon, I really enjoyed your sculpting tutorial in this and the last issue. I really am going to have to try it, it really looks awesomew and adds a nice touch. Thanks a bunch!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Andrews, Congratulations on a wonderful job. As a member of FEGA since day 1 this newsletter has come a long way. I still have my mimographed copies from the beginning. Just goes to show what a pack rat I am. Also like to congratulate everyone who contributed those great articles. Keep up the good work.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, Tim!

This issue is overflowing with really good info. Looking at the photos of Phil Coggins work is an inspiration and alone is worth the price of FEGA membership. The layout article was a great idea; contrasting differing points of view from four very respected engravers gives helpful insight and perspective into a fundamental and very necessary step in the engraving process. Brian Marshall's excellent article on how to make your own punches fits hand-in-glove with my sculpting how-to: Thanks Brian! I know I left someone out & I apologize if I did; I'm going from memory as I do not have issue 79 of the "Engraver" in front of me at the moment!
I can't wait for the next issue!!

Weldon

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Welcome to FEGA Peter E :)

It's an excellent organisation with some wonderful and dedicated people in it. If you possibley can save your pennies and try to make it to the Reno convention and seminars. Also take as much advantage as you can of the video/DVD's and castings that are avialable to members (members get free shipping) and non members alike.

Cheers
Andrew

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon, what steel do you use for making your punches and chislets? And have you tried using punches in the airgraver? I am so excited to try sculpting for the first time!! Your articles gave me the bug! Thank you again, your sculpted scrolls look great.

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
Issue just arrived today!

Looks great, will be absorbing it over the next while.

As to the convention - I look forward to being there, and drooling over beautiful work. I was already moving to Reno before I had even heard of FEGA (sorry to say...).

Gary

Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim,

I use high speed tool steel. Brian Marshall's article in that same issue gives some great info on that process. I have not tried a punch in an air tool but i know it will work; I was a student in a grand Masters class with Chris DeCammilis and Sam Alfano and saw the results (nice!) of their sculpting work produced with air tooling.
Give it a try!
Weldon

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Wow, what an issue! This is one heck of a fine magazine, Andrew. Great tutorials!!!! I especially liked Weldon's sculpting article. Very well done...great photos!!

Andrew: you're setting a new standard for The Engraver.

Tim: My favorite sculpting punches are made from discarded 3/32" jewelers burs. They work great in the handpiece and produce excellent results at really slow stroke speeds. How about stepping up to the plate with a tutorial on colored engraving? C'mon, be a hero, Tim! :D

~Sam

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
I've been gone for awhile and it's good to be back. I just want to ad my thanks to Andrew and all for a great "engraver" -- The tutorials are wonderful.

Latest posts

Sponsors